586,058 active members*
4,691 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Drilling - Tapping sequence

I would like to spot, drill, and tap holes on Fanuc 6M, 11M, 15M and Pro3 controls. I would like to keep the entire group of X and Y locations in a separate file, and all the canned cycle or routines in a separate file.

What I would like to do is avoid moving to the first X an Y location before calling the canned cycle or routine. The idea being that an operator could create a file with just X and Y locations, then run the main program to spot, drill, and tap.

I have not written a single macro in a good four years. Most of the programs I have done have to do with milling, probing or angle calculation.

I can think of a couple different ways to get to where I want to be with this, but I can't help thinking that I am forgetting something very basic and simple.
    (Like you can do this with one line of code.)

Is there anyone out there who can help me.

I would be extremely thankful as this is really beginning to bug me.

Thank you,

Dave

I run a Haas in Fanuc mode doing what I think you are describing here; selecting tools and setting up the spot, drill and tap cycles in a main program and then calling a subroutine (M97) with all the X Y coordinates. All that is needed is L0 in the canned cycle line so it does not start until it reads the first set of coordinates. I suppose you should be able to do the same thing with a subprogram call (M98) so you can have the coordinates in a separate file.

Tahnks!

You know what, that does sound very familiar.
    I will try that tomorrow.

Thank you very much,

Dave