587,025 active members*
3,353 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Lathes > Anyone NOT happy with their Haas Lathe?

Anyone NOT happy with their Haas Lathe?

I'm looking into purchasing a lathe and am considering the Haas ST10 for starters. I am also considering a Hurco. Any lathe guys have any input? It'll be mostly for prototyping. I'm not all that familiar with CNC lathes so any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

While the Hurco mills may run, i'd run from the lathes. You may want to look at the Okuma Genos line, it should be right in your price range. Don't limit yourself. I have no direct Haas lathe experience.

Here is the link to one person I know about who was not happy with their SL10. You will have to do a bit of reading.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/search...5&pp=25&page=2

I am quite happy with my two HL1s, two SL10s, two GT20s, three TL1s and one TL3.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

I will say that I love that Haas has their prices right there so you can see them. Checking out the Okuma now.

I was pretty pissed yesterday..:boxing: as my ST10 was supposed to be delivered last night..now I have to wait until Wed :tired:
    Its hard having 1st world problems.

Checking out the Okuma now
    When they finally get past stupid questions of "what are you going to use it for?" and "send a print over and we will have our application engineers do a cost analysis"
    And finally give you a price.. you can pry your jaw off the deck :bs:
    Love the up front pricing.
    Gary

Called an Okuma dealer yesterday to get pricing but didn't want to leave a message. I'll try again today.

Let them know your going to pull the trigger on a Haas, that you just want a price comparison. Okuma (actually all dealers) are trying to move units before the end of the year. The difference is Haas has a set price, while others negotiate.

How long was the wait time to get the ST10?

Ray

We just bought an Okuma Genos L400 a few weeks ago. The machine was in stock at Okuma's port in Georgia and was setting on our shop floor a week after we ordered it. Could have been faster, but we didn't require the expedite. Machine, shipping, rigging in, just under $80k. 50 times the machine as the Haas ST10. The L400 does have a few flaws when it comes to production turning, but if you are not running production, it's great.

We just got a new ST-20 in about a month ago. Hass has had some rigidity flaws in thier lathes in the past, but they really redesigned the turret, tailstock, and headstock for the ST series lathes. I love this machine, with the exception of the Safety interlocks, and the changes they made to the control panel mounting. Otherwise, the machine is more rigid, quieter, faster rapids, better coolant control, better interface, better lighting, and much cooler to look at and listen to. (when the turret indexes on this thing, its like angels singing) We run the crap out of our Haas lathes, and If I were buying one personally, It would be one of these new ST series machines.

Quote Originally Posted by ad64075 View Post
    ...50 times the machine as the Haas ST10...
    Care to quantify?
    http://onedropyoyos.com/yoyos/

I wouldn't say 50 times, but it is a much stouter machine. I'm a fan of linear guides on anything but a lathe. Don't know about the small genos, but the 300 and up are box ways, box always gives better dampening and crash resistance than guides. I have never seen a haas with box ways. Also okuma still hand fits (scrape) components rather than shimming.

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post
    I wouldn't say 50 times, but it is a much stouter machine. I'm a fan of linear guides on anything but a lathe. Don't know about the small genos, but the 300 and up are box ways, box always gives better dampening and crash resistance than guides. I have never seen a haas with box ways. Also okuma still hand fits (scrape) components rather than shimming.
    Given that the OP is looking for a prototyping machine, and this is his first lathe purchase I think Haas is an even better choice. Their in-house financing can't be beat for start-ups with little money down. He probably doesn't need hand-scraped box ways, and certainly shouldn't buy a machine with "crash resistance" as part of the plan - crash avoidance is a much better approach.
    http://onedropyoyos.com/yoyos/

I like the responses. And shawnc' that has become my thought as of late. My shop is still new so I can't afford anything too pricey. I still haven't heard from the Okuma dealer, called and even filled out their online thing. Kind of looks like Haas wins, at least I know the price and I know the control. I just have to see about their financing plans now.

This is what they sent me week and a half ago..
    On approved credit, with 10% down and payments beginning in 30 days:

2.9% for 24 months

3.9% for 36 months

4.9% for 48 months

5.9% for 60 months

Claudia Van Cleve was the gal I worked with.
    Gary

Thank you Gary! That is comparable to what I received from another company. However I think I may be able to get away with not needing a down payment with the other company. I need to check on that.

It never hurts to shop around at different financiers. The Haas direct (CNC associates) is kindof a cookie cutter operation so often you can sometimes squeeze better rates from a bank or other institution. But then you end up having to shuffle money around here and there so it depends on your goals a bit.