586,103 active members*
3,322 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > partial 80/20 build using some easy to find parts
Page 4 of 4 234
    i got some more drafting made today, going with a torsion box style table, however it will not have a bottom until i get everything done, then it will be a removable bottom, think on two sides ill put peg board for not only functionality but also strength, then the other two sides will hold all the electronics and whatever else i need

also its not a full torsion box as i left about 4 to 5 inches on each side open due to having to access bolts, do you think this will b ok my table is about 1.25" thick

heres what i have so far

been working on the z axis stuff, heres some pics, also the last pic is a possible counterweight idk lemme know what u thinnk

well havent got much done since the holidays hoping to get back on it in the next week or so

heres a pic of the completed machine for the most part

You can get a feel for the flex that will be seen in the Y gantry pretty easily. Take a piece of the planned support (the 8020) the same length as your plan.

Make it a sort of balance beam on a couple of bricks and attach a dial caliper that just touches the floor.

Have a friend stand in the middle of the beam and measure the deflection and ratio this as if they weigh 100 lbs.

(example, if they weight 200 lbs, then divide the reading by 2)

It isn't a perfect method, but it is a good indicator of the "best" results you can achieve with your router, regardless of whatever else you do.

Hey guys I Know Its Been Forever!!!! But i Finally am Making slow process on the CNC im designing, and im pretty thrilled at how everything is actually coming together just as the 3d model I drew in solidworks. I still have a very long way to go but theres no turning back now. still gotta get the rest of the 8020 brackets for the gantry

Used a cnc to route my table and drill all the holes.
    still have to make the rest of the center rail mounts ( i have to mill them)

Heres some pics of the progress

some vids

Its Alive. Kinda,got the x axis to move,

Looking good I've just resurrected my old project that I started years ago and didn't get round to finishing. Give me another 5 or 6 years and I might have it doing something lol.

Quote Originally Posted by picbits View Post
    Looking good I've just resurrected my old project that I started years ago and didn't get round to finishing. Give me another 5 or 6 years and I might have it doing something lol.
    dont get discouraged. this project has taken me almost 7 years from the time i started talking about it and gathering stepper motors til this point here.

I've not really been discouraged, just distracted I've had a customer ask me to build him something fairly simple with steppers / belts etc and it has renewed my interest in getting it all finished. I think once you've got the bug, you never lose it

Re: partial 80/20 build using some easy to find parts

Thought id share a few things ive been playing with on my cnc machine, still learning and what not but a good start.

First is a plasma cutter template i cut out while designing a four link suspension for my car.

here is an attempt at the harley davidson logo still needs work

Here is a scripture plaque i cut for a friend which was also my first paying job lol

And here is a mothers day card before it was done i made for my mom.

Page 4 of 4 234