586,102 active members*
2,872 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Sources for cheap threadmill bits?
Page 1 of 2 12

Sources for cheap threadmill bits?

Anyone know of cheap sources for single tooth threadmill bits in the US? I'm blown away by some of the videos I've seen on Youtube and want to experiment using just MDF and plastic stock to make internal threads. Mach3 is the program controller.

Would like cutters that allows for many different thread types to be machined - NPT, UNC, METRIC, ACME, etc.

Thanks!

I haven't found any sources for cheap threadmills. The cheapest suggestion I have heard so far is to grind down a suitable tap.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcodewiz View Post
    I haven't found any sources for cheap threadmills. The cheapest suggestion I have heard so far is to grind down a suitable tap.
    Right. I saw a Hoss video where he used a ground tap for threadmilling.

I see threadmill bits used by pros for a few hundred bucks but would like something already made in the tens of dollars range for initial experimentation.

Tormach has a vid using a vslot cutter for threadmilling. Might try that next. Maybe ENCO has some cheap stuff. Figured I'd ask here before spending hours searching.

Thanks!

Cheap is relative with threadmills.

Grinding down a tap is one option. You can also just use an internal lathe threading tool.

Single Profile Thread Mills - Thread Mills | MSCDirect.com

Scientific Cutting Tools :: The Cutting Edge

Matt

Can't beat the affordability of grinding down a tap into a single point threadmill that can do multiple thread pitches but
    online carbide has some decent prices.
    UN THREADS
    Hoss
    http://www.hossmachine.info - Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- http://www.g0704.com - http://www.bf20.com - http://www.g0602.com

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by ImagineRobots View Post
    .... and want to experiment using just MDF and plastic stock to make internal threads. Mach3 is the program controller....
    Slightly off topic for the question you posed, and if I’m correct in understanding the “MDF” part of your query…. but you may or may not be aware of the serious health hazard of MDF (Medium Density Fibreboard) dust particles…the glue I’ve read somewhere used to adhere the fibres is highly carcinogenic, and like yourself I’ve been blown away by lots of YouTube CNC routing videos but not by what’s being machined but by the lack of appropriate MDF dust removal…..you probably knew this already but just thought I’d add it for those reading the thread who may not have known…..
    Eoin

Quote Originally Posted by hoss2006 View Post
    Can't beat the affordability of grinding down a tap into a single point threadmill that can do multiple thread pitches but
    UN THREADS
    Hoss
    For a 10-24 I see this description:

"Use to cut a 10-24UN or larger thread; .140 Cutting Diameter; 3/16" Shank Diameter; (7).292 LOC; 2.5" OAL; TiALN Coated"

Since I can't see pics does "(7).292 LOC" mean 7 cutter teeth with a total length of .292"?

Thanks for the link.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Welder View Post
    Slightly off topic for the question you posed, and if I’m correct in understanding the “MDF” part of your query…. but you may or may not be aware of the serious health hazard of MDF (Medium Density Fibreboard) dust particles…the glue I’ve read somewhere used to adhere the fibres is highly carcinogenic,...
    I've heard the same thing. On my mill I'm pretty careless about the MDF because it is a spoil board for my plastic/metal cutting. However, on my 4'x8' router I do have a giant MDF bed along with a micron filter dust collection system.

or grow your own.

grow your own using a standard insert.
    You can use smaller inserts and make a tiny version too.

sorry about the focus. Must be your eyes.

I needed M22 x 1.5 Left Hand and was not going to spend $100's on a special tap.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

Quote Originally Posted by neilw20 View Post
    grow your own using a standard insert.
    You can use smaller inserts and make a tiny version too.
    [/IMG]
    I'm drooling at the last picture. I thought CNC dilling, pocketing and contouring was pretty cool but thread milling beats them all.

You can do external thread milling too.
    Hoss

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qn88X0raHck&feature=plcp]G0704 Horizontal OD Thread Milling - YouTube[/ame]
    http://www.hossmachine.info - Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- http://www.g0704.com - http://www.bf20.com - http://www.g0602.com

Quote Originally Posted by ImagineRobots View Post
    For a 10-24 I see this description:

"Use to cut a 10-24UN or larger thread; .140 Cutting Diameter; 3/16" Shank Diameter; (7).292 LOC; 2.5" OAL; TiALN Coated"

Since I can't see pics does "(7).292 LOC" mean 7 cutter teeth with a total length of .292"?

Thanks for the link.
    (7).292 LOC means 7 teeth, but the 0.292 is not the total length, it is the length of cut

I ground one out of a broken carbide pcb drill bit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1696.jpg  

How to make a single point threadmill from a tap?

Quote Originally Posted by hoss2006 View Post
    UN THREADS
    Hoss
    I've seen Hoss' video where he use a modified tap to do threadmilling. But how do you cut or grind a tap? The thing is bloody hard! Do I have to distemper it first?

Quote Originally Posted by hlombard View Post
    I've seen Hoss' video where he use a modified tap to do threadmilling. But how do you cut or grind a tap? The thing is bloody hard! Do I have to distemper it first?
    You will not be able to cut a tap, but grinding is quite easy. Even a dremel would do if you have nothing else. A bench grinder would be my first pick. Just be careful when you are grinding as you don't want to get it to hot or you will anneal it and it will not cut very well. I keep a bucket of water nearby and dip it in the water every few seconds to keep it from getting hot.

If you use a tap, you need to grind off all the threads except one flute. Then you will need to grind some relief on the sides of the teeth so they do not rub. This will let you cut a single thread pitch. If you want it to work for multiple thread pitches, you need to grind off everything except a single tooth and then you can threadmill a range of sizes.

Matt

if you cut not so deep, then you could try to grind a keyway cutter..

for a try i believe even the dremel cutter will work

Dremel 199 High Speed Cutter: Tools : Walmart.com

Touch that on the tap and the new high speed cutter will be dead in 5 seconds, flat!
    You need a grinding wheel to put in the dremel.
    This will do it easily.
    Dremel 8215 Aluminum Oxide Grinding Stone: Tools : Walmart.com
    or this
    MK Diamond 156090 MK-304CR 4in x .060in x 20mm-5/8in: Tools : Walmart.com
    and this is better!!
    100mm x 32mm 75% 240 Grit Resin Bonded Diamond Grinding Wheel Tool | eBay
    and I use these in a dremel
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/50-PC-Rotary-Tool-Diamond-Burr-Grit-Set-1-8-Shank-Set-Fits-Hobby-Tools-/400245398989?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item5d307 c1dcd
    and paid $15 for mine.

You need to GRIND, not cut.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

The cutter on the right is solid carbide, cnc ground using the diamond bit on the left. The profile is actually for involute gears, but the 60 deg threading bit is even easier to do. Ideally the final edge should be ground using a fine bit, but I haven't been able to find any. But cutter worked good enough.

Ground carbide forms a powder similar to cast iron. They will do terrible things to bearings. I use a spray bottle of water to eliminate any dust.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bits.jpg  

hlombard...

a simple 2 wheel grinder ok to grind off from a tap
    see first picture...
    grind off two ""rib""
    also the remaining on rib you grind as you leave just a few 2 or 3 of the cutting edges..

if you find that dremel or rotozip tool, you can grind one cutting edge on way as H500 showing on picture..
    this would be the optimal, because with this you can cut down to the bottom in a hole..

with this you can make your test of ten dollar.. for setup a work, you possible better to buy tool from mscdirect.. they are a good source for tools.. tough not the cheapest, but they have everything you can use...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tap.jpg   rotozip or dremel tool.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12