586,667 active members*
3,736 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > need help finding Moter Overload Relay

need help finding Moter Overload Relay

Hi, my x axis suddenly shows a motor overload fault, I have been digging through the manual, searching google, searched this forum and keep coming across a motor overload relay reset "white" button. I have searched the machine high and low and can't find the reset. I have a 2004 VMC 3020. I picture would be worth a thousand words. I think I have read the sentence in the manual a 1000 times already.

Any physical button reset for a drive would most likely be a thermal reset and could well be on a contactor ahead of the drive wired in to the drive power feed.
    If this is the case, it is usually located at the bottom of the contactor itself.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Any physical button reset for a drive would most likely be a thermal reset and could well be on a contactor ahead of the drive wired in to the drive power feed.
    If this is the case, it is usually located at the bottom of the contactor itself.
    Al.

i still cant find it

Do you have the schematics for the machine?
    Al.

Albert E.

Do you have the schematics for the machine?
    Al.
    yes, but it doesn't really help me find the physical part looking at a bunch of lines on paper. I can see were it should be in the circuit, but no clue were they hid it in the machine. I really need a photo of what it looks like.

The item I am referring to is a contactor and mounted typically right above the drive.
    http://www.technapower.com/pdfs/tech...tec_060213.pdf
    See contactor with Thermal Overload relay on the first page, the overload in this case has a blue reset button.
    BTW, if you are looking at future maintenance of this, or any machine, it pays to learn to read electrical schematics, this cuts the trouble shooting time down drastically.
    Al.

Albert E.

The item I am referring to is a contactor and mounted typically right above the drive.
    http://www.technapower.com/pdfs/tech...tec_060213.pdf
    See contactor with Thermal Overload relay on the first page, the overload in this case has a blue reset button.
    BTW, if you are looking at future maintenance of this, or any machine, it pays to learn to read electrical schematics, this cuts the trouble shooting time down drastically.
    Al.
    I hear ya, when it comes to electrical I am pretty much lost. And when I read schematics, they seem to never match what I am looking at physically, like when the manual says "white Button" and they turn out to be blue. I will be looking for a white wire, that turns out to be green, lol.

I am getting to the point were I need a pro to come check this problem out. i lost a day and half of production already and still have no clue what is causing the motor overload fault.

when the machined stopped running it sounded like it hit a hard stop, but it was in the middle of the table. I have hit the hard stop by accident before and the sound was exactly the same.

The parts list available on line do not appear to show any drive contactors?
    But I could not find a schematic, otherwise it may have shown it.
    Al.

Albert E.

I checked the x ball screw and it looks like the table isn't getting lubed. it was pretty sticky. I got it lubed and moving, but the machine just keeps going into emergency stop mode after 1.5 seconds when I turn it on. still cant find the motor overload relay.

If you got the description of 'White Button' off of any forum, that could be referring to the physical button type and yours sounds like an internal drive detection (software) O/L?
    What happens if you first, remove the mechanical coupling of the motor to the machine, or remove the motor and leave it connected electrically?
    If it still trips then remove the motor power connector, (not the encoder) if the fault does not re-appear then it could be a fault in the motor, if it does not trip with motor connected but uncoupled mechanically then it points to something mechanical on the machine.
    Al.

Albert E.

just got it apart and the x axis servo was seized up. I hope it didn't take out the amp card also. time to order some parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Moore View Post
    yes, but it doesn't really help me find the physical part looking at a bunch of lines on paper. I can see were it should be in the circuit, but no clue were they hid it in the machine. I really need a photo of what it looks like.
    Ryan, you say that you have schematics/ prints for the machine. Can you post them? Maybe we can see something that will help you locate your overload. Something like wire numbers, device numbers or names. Also if you look at your motor, there are wires( cables) coming out of the motor and they should go into the electrical panel. If you can trace where they go they should lead you back to the drive and possible your overloads. A photo of where your drives cabinet might also help. Good luck. FanFan

If the motor was seized, the over current was most likely detected by the drive, this normally protects the drive so I suspect you just need to replace or overhaul the motor?
    Al.

Albert E.

If the motor was seized, the over current was most likely detected by the drive, this normally protects the drive so I suspect you just need to replace or overhaul the motor?
    Al.
    I hope so, I'm really behind on production now. When the machine first went down I could still jog the y and z axis, but it would fault out when I tried the x, now the machine just faults out right when I turn it on.

If you disconnect the power feed to the motor and do not get a motor overload fault when powering up, it most likely is just the motor.
    Al.

Albert E.

just installed the new servo and its working. Now a new problem, the cold start isn't lining up with the marks like it used to and I'm afraid it will throw off all my G10s I spent hours setting. Any advise on that subject?

I don't know about your machine or control, I have only a TRM, but on the TRM I use SETH to set home & SETCS to set cold start. When doing power up, I turn on power and do not hit the green button, rather I manual out and jog into the correct position (careful not to over travel) then enter SETH and SETCS, and do it 2 or 3 times then enter CS and see where it cold starts.
    I only do this when CS gets screwed up, otherwise it's power on and hit the green . . .
    HTH
    JS
    We're not in business to make parts, we're in business to make money, making parts is just how we do that.