586,345 active members*
3,277 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Newbie looking for advice for his build (aus)

Hello all,

I am looking to start building me a 3 axis cnc router as a project for next year. I have been reading around and have seen so much different info that I have no idea on the best place to start so I am hoping you might be able to help me.

Use:I hope that when done I will be able to (mostly with wood, or plastics) cut out basic shapes, create signs, 3d carvings, negatives (or positives) for rubber stamps etc... by my understanding i will probably need something wit hat least 0.1mm accuracy. I would also love to be able to rotate the spindle 90° (parallel to the bench) and have a CNC mortiser/tenoner (similar to what this bad boy can do, but that can wait...

Size: In terms of size I am looking at something around 600x1000x~300mm (or 2x3x1 ft) as the bed surface. I was wondering for this size, will printer steppers work, or should i go ahead and get some bigger ones? If bigger ones are better, what sizes should i be looking at for each axis?

Spindle: I am thinking of using this palm router and/or this rotary tool for the spindle (depeding on the accuracy i need for a particular job). Do these look appropriate (i can always upgrade later, but for $50 bucks i really cannot go wrong)?

Materials: mostly PLY or MDF.. i do no have the tools or experience in doing something from metal.

Budget: not set, but minimal.. this will most likely be built over an extended time period as money comes in, but I would like to get the frame/gantry built at least, then the accountant in the family will see the uses and let me spend more :-)

I was hoping that you might be able to see if the above assumptions/ideas ar sane and if you could point be toward some open-source/cheap plans to base mine off.

Also, if anyone is from Aus, specifically Melb.., then local suppliers would be great, but I am going to the USA early next year and can pickup some stuff there if it is cheaper

Thanks for your help!

Hello,

I have a few thoughts on your ideas:

1. Printer steppers will not be nearly sufficient. You should aim for steppers rated >250oz/in holding torque.
    AusXmods and Homann Designs are two local Australian suppliers I know of that are reliable.

As for the Ozito routers, I cannot recommend using them for this application. They are unlikely to survive for very long in a CNC environment, where the spindle is rotating for long periods of time. Also, the run-out deviation may not produce items of the quality you are seeking.

I can recommend looking at various open-source designs if you aren't particularly mechanically minded, as designing a CNC machine from scratch is a long and difficult process.

Regards from Brisbane,

Lindsay

thanks for the reply embraced. Apologies for the late reply.

I agree with you on the Ozito spindle, but cash will be the constraining factor in this. Once i get it up and running and show how useful it is, i should be able to purchase a quality variable speed spindle.

And thanks for the advice on using someones plans. Do you have any advice on what a good (preferably free but not necessarily) plans to make a CNC around 900*600*300 from ply/MDF??

Cheers

I killed a 650W Ozito, they were badly made. Bunnings replaced it free for a new 850W type, which has lasted a couple of years now and has much better bottom bearing support, larger bottom bearing etc and better cooling and even cuts aluminium etc with no issues.

Mine only gets used a couple of times a week but I'd say if you are on a tight budget a 850W Ozito is a fine place to start.

The stock 1/4" collet is pretty crappy, the runout is decent but it is weak so if you overtighten it even once you'll mash the collet and wreck the runout. I made some more collets in different sizes on the lathe, these are much stronger and runout with my home made collets is now under 0.0005" which is inline with low priced "proper" collets.

The fine thread on that collet nut and tpered collet will make literally tons of force if you tighten it down hard, so on any collet you should be gentle with the wrenches and just snug it down. Nothing is going to slip in there.

Homebuilt CNC - accuracy to a few thousandths

I regularly mill PCBs with this machine. I have milled aluminum and done engraving. I can swap out the die grinder for a 1/4" router and go to town on MDF. I've got the plans on Sketchup for the asking (woodworkerb at gmail dot com). WoodWorkerB CNC Router Project
    I've also created some simple but effective anti-backlash nuts that really cleaned up some small 'jaggies' during fine pcb routing.
    Good luck.
    WoodWorkerB
    WoodWorkerB
    HobbyCNC.com, WoodWorkerB.com

I would look at Joe's CNC 2003 model Welcome to Joe'sCNC.com