586,108 active members*
3,023 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > Casting Metals > Melt metals in your Microwave!

Talking Melt metals in your Microwave!

http://home.c2i.net/metaphor/mvpage.html

Although I haven't tried this (yet) it has a lot of promise. It looks very affordable for the average joe who wants to play with molten metal. Enjoy!
    My name is Electric Nachos. Sorry to impose, but I am the ocean.
    http://www.bryanpryor.com

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Mighty interesting! My experience from microwave cooking is that metal bowls, spoons etc gives of sparks.....

"....your cereal is a bit low on iron, add a spoon or two of freshly cut steel shavings...."

Klox
    *** KloX ***
    I'm lazy, I'm only "sparking" when the EDM is running....

Originally posted by Klox
    Mighty interesting! My experience from microwave cooking is that metal bowls, spoons etc gives of sparks.....

"....your cereal is a bit low on iron, add a spoon or two of freshly cut steel shavings...."

Klox
    The reason for this is that micro waves accelerate molocules, creating friction, which creates heat. The molocules in metals are tighter, and harder to move around, and they 'spark' when rubbed together.

Ever notice how mashed potatoes don't microwave very fast? It's cuz the molocules are so far apart, it's not very dense so it doesn't rub together as much.
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I have reheated the big football sized burritos available in CA after I ate only half. The second half was still wrapped in the foil from the restaraunt and I never noticed any sparking or explosion. Picked up a couple of working micros from the dump the other day. Will use one for the transmormer in a hot wire set up, the other...maybe I'll have to leave my foundry alone and try this.
    Stop talking about it and do it already!!!!!

"This David Reid link is amazing". WOW!:idea: :idea: :idea: !

How exciting, I definately will give this a go. I love it when people are willing to share a good idea.
    Being outside the square !!!

Have any of you guys tried this yet? - I'm toying with the idea of trying it in my big, old, and redundant microwave.
    It works perfectly but my wife wants me to throw it out! - so if any of you can tell me what NOT to do I'd very much appreciate any wisdom ( perhaps learnt from your mistakes).

Quote Originally Posted by Rekd
    The reason for this is that micro waves accelerate molocules, creating friction, which creates heat. The molocules in metals are tighter, and harder to move around, and they 'spark' when rubbed together.

Ever notice how mashed potatoes don't microwave very fast? It's cuz the molocules are so far apart, it's not very dense so it doesn't rub together as much.
    Thanks Matt, I have often wondered about that.

I just wonder if it shortens the life of the microwave. No problem with that, since you can pick one up cheap. But I wonder if it would last a year doing this.

There was an article in popular science a while back about this.
    On all equipment there are 2 levers...
    Lever "A", and Lever F'in "B"