586,103 active members*
3,872 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

PlasmaBot 5.0 4x3

I started this thread on Welding Web here:

(Another) Plasma CNC Build - WeldingWeb™ - Welding forum for pros and enthusiasts

Since the bulk of this isn't going to be welding related, I decided to move the CNC portion of the build here (and leave the welding portion there).

Here are my latest plans and cost estimate:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screen Shot 2012-11-25 at 11.02.35 AM.png   Screen Shot 2012-11-25 at 11.03.05 AM.png   Screen Shot 2012-11-25 at 11.03.29 AM.png   Screen Shot 2012-11-25 at 11.03.45 AM.png  

Looks like a good start so far. What Plasma Cutter are you using or plan to get? I didn't see it in your cost list. Will this be for hobby stuff or are you adding it to an existing business shop or starting a new business?

Good luck. I'd like to see photos of your build when you get started.

My Plasma Table Project is well underway and I have some pics, but I'll post those separately. Be sure to look for it in this area of the forum soon.

Double your cost and you should be somewhere close without your plasma machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Capstone View Post
    Looks like a good start so far. What Plasma Cutter are you using or plan to get? I didn't see it in your cost list. Will this be for hobby stuff or are you adding it to an existing business shop or starting a new business?

Good luck. I'd like to see photos of your build when you get started.

My Plasma Table Project is well underway and I have some pics, but I'll post those separately. Be sure to look for it in this area of the forum soon.
    Thanks Capstone. I have an Everlast Supercut 50p, but it is HF, so I don't plan on using it. I am going to go with a Longevity Forcecut 80i. I would love to get a Hypertherm, but it is just for hobby use.

I look forward to seeing your posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Nacs Fab View Post
    Double your cost and you should be somewhere close without your plasma machine.
    I have already added quite a few things Nacs, so I suspect that you are right. I would like to keep it around 3k, but we will see. I will post an updated tally occasionally as I go.

Here is the base table that I welded up over the weekend:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG-20121126-181350-172.jpg   IMG-20121126-181817-176.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by MoJo1917 View Post
    Thanks Capstone. I have an Everlast Supercut 50p, but it is HF, so I don't plan on using it. I am going to go with a Longevity Forcecut 80i. I would love to get a Hypertherm, but it is just for hobby use.

I look forward to seeing your posts.
    You may want to think about they type of plasma cutter you are purchasing. The one you are looking at has a high frequency start. A plasma cutter with blowback start will work better with all your electronics. Some have been able to get their high frequency start plasma cutters to work better than others. If your going with THC then you will seriously need to consider a cutter with blow back start. If your are wanting a Longevity cutter then I would look at the 42i. If you buy the machine torch that would allow you to interchange between cnc and normal plasma cutting. It may not have the power of the 80i, but it will work better.

Here is the base table that I welded up over the weekend:
    Looks good!! I'm laying out my plans now, will probably get my base partially done this coming weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by seanmurphy265 View Post
    You may want to think about they type of plasma cutter you are purchasing. The one you are looking at has a high frequency start. A plasma cutter with blowback start will work better with all your electronics. Some have been able to get their high frequency start plasma cutters to work better than others. If your going with THC then you will seriously need to consider a cutter with blow back start. If your are wanting a Longevity cutter then I would look at the 42i. If you buy the machine torch that would allow you to interchange between cnc and normal plasma cutting. It may not have the power of the 80i, but it will work better.
    I already have a HF unit and was looking for one that isn't HF so I specifically asked them that before I ordered. They said it wasn't, but now I am starting to wonder. I will let you know what I find, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Capstone View Post
    Looks good!! I'm laying out my plans now, will probably get my base partially done this coming weekend.
    I look forward to seeing them. I plan on working on a self-leveling system this weekend.

I already have a HF unit and was looking for one that isn't HF so I specifically asked them that before I ordered. They said it wasn't, but now I am starting to wonder. I will let you know what I find, thanks.
    I had my share of nightmares with a HF start longevity plasma machine. If its a HF unit, don't even open the box, send it back. I fried so many electronic components and got so frustrated that i almost scrapped the whole project. I ended up buying a Hypertherm pm85 for mine, the best decision i ever made. But it wasn't cheap. The sweetness of a good deal wears off long before the bitterness from a lack of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by xalky View Post
    I had my share of nightmares with a HF start longevity plasma machine. If its a HF unit, don't even open the box, send it back. I fried so many electronic components and got so frustrated that i almost scrapped the whole project. I ended up buying a Hypertherm pm85 for mine, the best decision i ever made. But it wasn't cheap. The sweetness of a good deal wears off long before the bitterness from a lack of performance.
    I spoke with Longevity support today and they said that the 80i isn't HF, but rather High Voltage Low Frequency (not blowback) and doesn't require any special handling for CNC. Gearhead actually sells them with their tables. I wish the doc lined up with that. I won't be ready for a real test anytime soon. Does anyone know a quick sanity check that I can do to verify that I won't have issues when I get ready to fire it up?

I spoke with Longevity support today and they said that the 80i isn't HF, but rather High Voltage Low Frequency (not blowback) and doesn't require any special handling for CNC. Gearhead actually sells them with their tables. I wish the doc lined up with that. I won't be ready for a real test anytime soon. Does anyone know a quick sanity check that I can do to verify that I won't have issues when I get ready to fire it up?
    I would talk to the people at gearhead and ask them what to expect. If any shielding is required etc.... Also see if you can find out what type of controllers they're using. Without an oscilloscope and knowing how to use it, there's really no way of knowing if the plasma will damage your electronics. The only thing you can do is prepare for the worst with shielding, grounding. And hope for the best.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by xalky View Post
    I would talk to the people at gearhead and ask them what to expect. If any shielding is required etc.... Also see if you can find out what type of controllers they're using. Without an oscilloscope and knowing how to use it, there's really no way of knowing if the plasma will damage your electronics. The only thing you can do is prepare for the worst with shielding, grounding. And hope for the best.

Thanks xalky, I will let you know what I hear. I read your post and don't want to repeat history! It sounds like you wish that you went with the candcnc blade runner. Is that still the case?

Thanks xalky, I will let you know what I hear. I read your post and don't want to repeat history! It sounds like you wish that you went with the candcnc blade runner. Is that still the case?
    That's what I've been running from the start. I had to put the project on the back burner for the summer, but I'm back at it now, with a hypertherm pm85. Trying to get back to where I left off. The learning curve is pretty steep on these things. I'm afraid I've forgotten most of what I learned just 6 short months ago. It's a little disheartening to be honest. :banghead:

done this coming weekend.

I didn't hear back from gearhead, but here is a link to the video for the 80i that discusses it being High Voltage and CNC ready:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C884IwGzAww]LONGEVITY ForceCut 80i High Voltage CNC Ready Plasma Cutter 80AMP IGBT Cutting - YouTube[/ame]

They assured me again that I am good to go, so I am moving forward with it. At the rate things are going, it will probably be spring before I am ready to cut anything. I am currently waiting on the PBC Linear rails.

LONGEVITY ForceCut 80i

I'm not familiar with the Longevity ForceCut 80i.

Is it available with a machine torch or does it only come with a hand torch?

I was interested in buying an Everlast PowerPlama 60C with a standard CNC/machine torch, for the same price as the Longevity (about $1200.00) but it would be nice to have those extra 20 amps on a Longevity machine if it came with a machine torch.

I didn't hear back from gearhead, but here is a link to the video for the 80i that discusses it being High Voltage and CNC ready:

LONGEVITY ForceCut 80i High Voltage CNC Ready Plasma Cutter 80AMP IGBT Cutting - YouTube

They assured me again that I am good to go, so I am moving forward with it. At the rate things are going, it will probably be spring before I am ready to cut anything. I am currently waiting on the PBC Linear rails.
    I have a machine torch that'll fit your machine. I'll make it worth your while. It's brand new in the box. If your interested send me a PM. I have no use for it.

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12