586,070 active members*
3,442 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Bridgeport Machines > Bridgeport / Hardinge Mills > Spindle break and speed change Pneumatics is sticking

Question Spindle break and speed change Pneumatics is sticking

Hi to all again.

Well, now that I have the power all dialed in on my 1987 Bridgeport Series II Interact 2 with a Heidenhain 151 control I'm having a problem with the Pneumatics. Brake and speed changer. It all worked great for a week or two. I still need to insulate the 3 walls I built around it under a carport, which has been getting pretty darn cold at nights, below freezing in recent nights and I'm sure some moisture too with some rain now and then. There's a box on the side of the milling head which has some electronics and more likely some air valves of some type that run to the speed changer and brake I think. When I switch the brake to off the Air leaks out of a screen covered hole from this box with a lot of pressure. When the break is turned to auto it doesn't leak. Also when I turn it off you can see the brake air cylinder not releasing the brake. You have to physically push it up to release it. So I think I have some parts freezing up or sticking. I can increase spindle speed but can't decrease. The air driven tool changer seems to work fine. Is there some special fluids I can use to clean or unfreeze these air componets? Anybody been through this one and want to help me out a bit? I talked to a tech for the machine breifly and he said to use something called Magic boro or magic marboro something rather to unfreeze it and then hydraulic fluid DTE 24 to keep it lubed. Anyway, I'm not sure if I should start tearing things apart and cleaning or you just squirt something in the air line like air tool that you use in air lines to operate air tools.
    Thanks again for any suugestions or fixes.. Hunter

You probably have the original solenoids in that box (aluminum plate with platic cover). Be careful as the plate is not thick and the solenoids are mounted to it with only a few threads. I have pulled these solenoids apart to find the seals on the spools to be falling apart. This prevents them from moving correctly and thus functioning/sealing correctly. It seems that way back then the British rubber did not like American lubricants. You may want to take a look.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks George! I aready had the cover off. I guess it more than likely is the original. There's a bunch of wiring on the top part, two similiar looking square block bodies (probably the solenoids your referring too?) and another block body that's below the two and to the left when looking straight at it. This also has a round adjustable knob for something. I'll try to take them a part and check the seals as you mentioned. As far as lubricating the air system or if I need to unfreeze it from lack of lubricating, you have any suggestionson what types?

Hunter