586,070 active members*
3,442 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

stl files to solids

Hi everyone

I am looking for a way to make .stl file into a solid that I can read into Bobcadcam or other cadcam software. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf
    Hi everyone

I am looking for a way to make .stl file into a solid that I can read into Bobcadcam or other cadcam software. Any ideas?
    Solidworks, maybe post file and someone will do it for you.

Solidworks?

Sorry, already tried. Didn't work.

Thanks

I have UG and importing .stl is in the menu. I've never done it before, but if you send me the file I'll try to make it a solid.

Well, before I sound like a recording - first I'll ask a question:
    Do you want to take the .stl file to (CadCAM) so you can mill/cut it - like you want g-code as the end result? [Now the recording part - I'm not associated with IMServ, but like some of the products ] - Stlwork will do that (.stl to gcode) and I think you can try it out before buying it.
    Or, as another question; Do you want to take the .stl file to CAD to manipulate - clean up - mod etc, then get it to CAM or gcode? Seems like Solidworks ought to get you to that - import the .stl then save/export it to another format as needed.
    Sorry I'm not at the "workstation" to check out the ins/outs on SW.
    :cheers: Jim
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by kaye7877
    I have UG and importing .stl is in the menu. I've never done it before, but if you send me the file I'll try to make it a solid.

UG will import an STL but you can't do anything with it. You can't do any measuring, you can't use any of the geometry to create new geometry, it's basically a dumb object that you can look at. Quite frustrating because sometimes I need to reverse engineer a part where all we have is an STL file

B.Kidd

Thanks guys

:cheers:
    "Do you want to take the .stl file to (CadCAM) so you can mill/cut it - like you want g-code as the end result? [Now the recording part - I'm not associated with IMServ, but like some of the products ] - Stlwork will do that (.stl to gcode) and I think you can try it out before buying it."

This really did it. I played for about an hour and I have G-code. It is at first a bit confusing when you start from other cam software, but I got code. I will invest in this once I get a bit better at it.

Can't edit it in any way? Even with the direct modelling commands? Well that is a bummer.