586,495 active members*
1,730 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > Waterjet General Topics > How to find a shop to lease with 480 3 phase?

How to find a shop to lease with 480 3 phase?

The listings found in my searches are vague about what power is available, and the e-mails I have sent asking about it are either ignored or just as vague as the listings.
    Can anyone recommend a commercial property locator or service that actually delivers?
    TIA

Quote Originally Posted by Winks View Post
    The listings found in my searches are vague about what power is available, and the e-mails I have sent asking about it are either ignored or just as vague as the listings.
    Can anyone recommend a commercial property locator or service that actually delivers?
    TIA
    Your post seems just as vague as the listings you refer to!
    What is it that you are trying to do? If it is a Machine-shop that you are seeking I would almost bet that any large size building would have that considering cost efficiency. Also, anyone that has such a building would clearly tell you that it has 480 3P. There is no way they would not know that.
    All comments made are my opinion!

Rally, thank you for your reply. I am sorry for my lack of information. I am looking for a smaller shop for a waterjet.
    1200 - 3000 sq. ft. I have seen larger shops listed with 480 mentioned, but the smaller ones I have seen have only gone up to 208, if power is mentioned at all, which seems to be the exception, not the rule. The agents I have emailed asking about it seem to think all 3 phase is the same.

Me - "Do you have 480 3 phase?"
    Agent - "Yes!"

I go to look at their shop and they have only 208.
    I would think that mentioning what power they have available would be a major selling point also, but they seem to not know that it is important information.
    I guess I was hoping to find an agent or service that did not leave a blank space on the "Power Available" line.
    Thank you again.

Our original shop we were in only had 208 3 phase. We just wound up using a transformer to bump it up to 480. It was around $1,000 if I remember correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by JakeM View Post
    Our original shop we were in only had 208 3 phase. We just wound up using a transformer to bump it up to 480. It was around $1,000 if I remember correctly.
    First time I ever heard of transforming UP!

Rally, thank you for your reply. I am sorry for my lack of information. I am looking for a smaller shop for a waterjet.
    1200 - 3000 sq. ft. I have seen larger shops listed with 480 mentioned, but the smaller ones I have seen have only gone up to 208, if power is mentioned at all, which seems to be the exception, not the rule. The agents I have emailed asking about it seem to think all 3 phase is the same.

Me - "Do you have 480 3 phase?"
    Agent - "Yes!"

I go to look at their shop and they have only 208.
    I would think that mentioning what power they have available would be a major selling point also, but they seem to not know that it is important information.
    I guess I was hoping to find an agent or service that did not leave a blank space on the "Power Available" line.
    Thank you again.
    Maybe you will have to ask them what size there panels are LOL
    But to be honest it blows my mind to hear that. Most everything in my area is 480.

Yep, there called step-up transformers. They are all over ebay and similar sites. We built our new shop with 600a of 480 so we either sold it or its sitting in a deep dark corner somewhere. It was big enough to run our water jet though. A good amount of shops around here that are less than 6000sq ft have 208, our first shop was about 6,800sq ft and we had to bring in a bunch of extra power to run our equipment.

Often when you lease you have to run your own power to suit your needs. And it can get expensive.

I just talked with the manufacturer and they said they can re-wire the pump for less than the cost of a transformer!
    They did not mention any downside to re-wiring it. Would heat be a potential problem?

a waterjet using tremendous power.. 60-100 Kw per hour is not rare..
    when you rent building, sure the box can carry sufficient power you..

a 1000-2000sqft shop migth dont have that...

just comparing... a lathe that can turn 17 inch dia, using generally 7-10Kw of 3 phase...
    your waterjet migth use 50-100 almost 10 times more..

phisics law simple... R=U/I

if you transform up voltage, then you loose amper... and vice versa..

i think what they mentioning, that is static phaseconverter not rotary... those looking like transformator.. and making of single phase 3 phase..

migth be im wrong..

whatever amps you need now (on 480), you will need to double it at 230/208 3ph.

if:
    480=100amps
    then:
    230=200amps

and so on
    www.metaltechus.com

Quote Originally Posted by gmfoster View Post
    Often when you lease you have to run your own power to suit your needs. And it can get expensive.
    No doubt, I believe we spent around 10k when we did the power in that building.
    I just talked with the manufacturer and they said they can re-wire the pump for less than the cost of a transformer!
    They did not mention any downside to re-wiring it. Would heat be a potential problem?
    There shouldn't be a downside, performance should be about the same. it shouldn't put out anymore heat since its drawing the same amount of total power just at a different voltage.
    Quote Originally Posted by victorofga View Post
    a waterjet using tremendous power.. 60-100 Kw per hour is not rare..
    when you rent building, sure the box can carry sufficient power you..

a 1000-2000sqft shop migth dont have that...

just comparing... a lathe that can turn 17 inch dia, using generally 7-10Kw of 3 phase...
    your waterjet migth use 50-100 almost 10 times more..

phisics law simple... R=U/I

if you transform up voltage, then you loose amper... and vice versa..

i think what they mentioning, that is static phaseconverter not rotary... those looking like transformator.. and making of single phase 3 phase..

migth be im wrong..
    I was talking about a step-up transformer, turning 208-240v 3 phase to 460-480v 3 phase. Our waterjet had to have one since there was no option to wire to 208.