586,047 active members*
3,762 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Mach3 spindle control/VFD/back gear

OK I am rebuilding this Bridgeport V2XT

all the details are here

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bridge...c_bp_v2xt.html

Now that I am about to mount the Automation direct GS2 VFD which will be controlled by a CNC4PC C32 card I was looking into Spindle pulley profiles via MACH3. Why do I need a pulley profile? Because of the back gear. That has a proximity switch that I want to wire in as an input that tells the program it can continue when a speed below 1088 RPM is called up by the part program ( I guess I have to make a brain for that? ). I take it that in the pulley profile I can tell MACH3 that the first profile is good for a certain RPM range and anything below that needs the other range and for the spindle to be reversed.

I also have another issue I would like the Analog output to command the VFD for 30-240 Hz in High gear and from 30-250 Hz in low gear ( So I don't get a gap between back gear and main gear)

Does MACH 3 remind teh operator in the middle of a program to make a "pulley change" when needed? I'd love to hook up sound for that cycle complete, tool change, and Gear change.

Anyone have any suggestions? Anyone out there already dealt with this problem on a knee mill? Thanks for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by Johns tool room View Post
    OK I am rebuilding this Bridgeport V2XT

all the details are here

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bridge...c_bp_v2xt.html

Now that I am about to mount the Automation direct GS2 VFD which will be controlled by a CNC4PC C32 card I was looking into Spindle pulley profiles via MACH3. Why do I need a pulley profile? Because of the back gear. That has a proximity switch that I want to wire in as an input that tells the program it can continue when a speed below 1088 RPM is called up by the part program ( I guess I have to make a brain for that? ). I take it that in the pulley profile I can tell MACH3 that the first profile is good for a certain RPM range and anything below that needs the other range and for the spindle to be reversed.

I also have another issue I would like the Analog output to command the VFD for 30-240 Hz in High gear and from 30-250 Hz in low gear ( So I don't get a gap between back gear and main gear)

Does MACH 3 remind teh operator in the middle of a program to make a "pulley change" when needed? I'd love to hook up sound for that cycle complete, tool change, and Gear change.

Anyone have any suggestions? Anyone out there already dealt with this problem on a knee mill? Thanks for the input.
    this is an old post. have you made any headway. I have the same issue which I have not gotten worked out as of yet. I am working on a Bridgeport R2E4 which is basically the same mill ( head arrangement)
    My build thread is here Archie's first cnc machine Bridgeport R2E4 Boss 9 to Mach 3

this might be of some help (tach pulse is in here somewhere as well)

BRIDGEPORT CNC PROGRESS 3 - CONVERSION TO VFD & POLYV BELT DRIVE - YouTube!

Happy Hunting
    archie =) =) =)

Headway made. For now I have the variable pulley speeded up to 3000 rpm, that is my base speed. Now my frequency range in each gear is 0-120 hz or maybe a little more. HIgh gear is 750 rpm to 6000 and low gear is from 0-749 rpm. I also have a macro and brain that seeks out the s commands in my program and verifies if I am on high gear or low gear by a prox switch on my back gear selector handle. If I am not in teh right gear after the S command I am prompted to change gears and press cycle start and the program just continues. I also have my spindle brake run via teh VFD where if an input that is activated by a relay on teh VFD that closes when there is 0RPM and program loaded activates teh relay that powers teh solenoid for my spindle brake. I also have decelleration of the VFD handled via a resistor brake. I also hooked up the other relay on the VFD to close during a fault and that is connected to my BOB's e stop line.

Re: Mach3 spindle control/VFD/back gear

John, Can you provide some more info or references on how you configured mach for:
    " I also have a macro and brain that seeks out the s commands in my program and verifies if I am on high gear or low gear by a prox switch on my back gear selector handle. If I am not in teh right gear after the S command I am prompted to change gears and press cycle start and the program just continues."

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks,
    Cliff

Re: Mach3 spindle control/VFD/back gear

eventually I'd like to fully automate my back gear lever, I'd be curious also what you have done with yours.
    Marvin