Hello,
I’m not new to metalworking, but due to a recent employment change, I no longer have access to the tool room and would like to have a shop in my basement. I already have a mill and I now need a lathe. It seems that a number of members here use the Grizzly G0602 lathe, and this lathe is exactly what I’m looking for size-wise. I’m trying to decide between the Grizzly G0602 and the Southbend SB1001. The Southbend is twice the price for a very similar lathe. Reading through the online manual, I find that the Southbend seems more refined, for example the leadscrew adjustments are more than just a simple locknut. The other advantage is that the hole through spindle on the Southbend is 1-1/8” (vs 1” on the Grizzly), on the other hand the hole through the Southbend 3 jaw chuck is only 0.8” anyway. I would also prefer the D1-3 spindle nose on the Southbend, but I’m not sure if this justifies the $1000+ cost difference. If anyone has an opinion on how the tho lathes compare, I would be very much interested. Also, please let me know if the hole in the 3 jaw chuck on the Grizzly is smaller than 1”.
Thanks!