586,103 active members*
3,438 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > if its in the house, will it stink?
Page 1 of 3 123

if its in the house, will it stink?

Next question,
    What comes with my garage, are two cats, and all their hair. I hate cat hair, it covers everything. Wife loves the cats, even though they hospitalized her. Cat Scratch Fever, it exists, Google it. Cats don't come in the house. We have an empty bedroom. Wife is going to her mothers for Christmas. Could slip the mill inside, oh happy holiday.

Would setting up a 770 in an extra room in the house make the whole place smell like a tool room?

In home chip control, anyone have a technic on keeping it in one room instead of all over the house? Any ideas like machine room only shoes, doormats, ect?

How hard is it to keep cat hair from screwing up a mill? Are the Tormach machines real picky about getting hair in the finer parts?

I could install a separate air handler to filter air in the garage to help fight the hair.
    .....or.....
    Anyone want a couple of cats?

Smells from coolant can be a real issue. There are a few that are better, but ALL of them I've seen recommend not operating in an enclosed space for health reasons.

But I'd be also worried about the stability of the floor. Unless you are going onto a slab, you need to make sure the floor can handle the weight. Not to mention the noise...

About keeping hair off the machine. It seems to me that your major places for concern are the ballscrews and the spindle motor. The ballscrews are precision components which are covered in oil, and hair would stick to them quickly. Pretty well hidden, but airborn hair would likely find it's way there. The spindle motor moves a lot of air around it. You'd have to regularly clean off the motor fan.

I have my machine in a "hobby room", wife has a sewing machine in the same room. And this is in the house, I use a fog buster and dry milling and have no coolant type smell. You do get a tool type smell as, I live in the tropics and so use a liberal amount of lubricant over tooling to stop rust etc.

I don't do production, and am a bit of a clean freak .... So I clean up my mess after spreading chips from one end of the room to the other.... Which do get dragged through the next room on occasion by the dog or just going from room to room.

I have a glass sliding door, which is closed when room is not in use, and have no smell transfer.

Don't like cats, so my solution probably won't be appreciated

My two cents worth, hope it helps.

Cheers,
    .adrian

A gallon of Febreze in with the coolant and you'll be sorted

My mother-in-law had cats. I used to tell her "there are two kinds of cats in this world. YOURS, AND DEAD ONES".

Cats have to be the absolute filthiest animals one can have for house pets.

Don't believe me? When was the last time your dog walked through its $hit box, then jumped up on the kitchen counter?
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Right after he licked his butt then licked your face.

Quote Originally Posted by BAMCNC.COM View Post
    That's simple. My dogs know not to lick my face.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Which was a few hours after he rolled in some rotten dead thing in the yard. there is no animal that's good for a clean-freak.
    CNC: Making incorrect parts and breaking stuff, faster and with greater precision.

Ahahaha, dogs do love rolling in dead things, not to menction their "sh*t box" is the yard which they run through then get on the furnature....

Man we screwed up this thread... Sorry

This has GOT to be a joke, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    My mother-in-law had cats. I used to tell her "there are two kinds of cats in this world. YOURS, AND DEAD ONES".

Cats have to be the absolute filthiest animals one can have for house pets.

Don't believe me? When was the last time your dog walked through its $hit box, then jumped up on the kitchen counter?
    How about F*&K you? Dirtly old bugger. Dogs EAT cat ****. How about sticking to machining instead of topics you don't know jack about?

Yikes.

Quote Originally Posted by tbaker2500 View Post
    Yikes.
    Indeed. Apparently, it's too much to ask for some people to behave like mature adults here. Where are the admins when we really need them....

I steped in something I had no business getting involved in and if I offended anyone, I apologize.

I am really allergic to cats and if I spent more than about 4 hours at my mother-in-laws house I would end up with pneumonia.

She passed away in September this year and we found her cats a new home.

Steve,
    I agree animal allergies are no joke. I had a cat until my wife found out she was allergic to cats and dogs. We found the cat a new home and cleaned the house of all cat dander. My wife went through two years of allergy shots. Most people with animal allergies take drugs (e.g. antihistamines) to deal with living with their animals and then suffer through the harmful effects of the allergies and side effects of drugs used to alleviate allergy symptoms. IMO the best thing to do is not expose oneself to things that cause harmful effects to their body. That holds true for flood coolant and cutting oils also.

Don

I completely agree with you Don. My wife had cats for about 12 years and I had the pneumonia and hospital stays to prove it.

As soon as she learned of my allergy she sent the cats to a new home. That was about 9 years ago and I have only been sick once since then. That one was my own fault. Here niece and her boyfriend at the time (now her husband) were at my mother-in-laws and I went there. If I had stayed an hour or two I would have been fine. But I didn't. I stayed 6 hours.

When my wife hand cats, I took allergy shots, I took Zyrtec, I took anything I thought might help. Nothing did, so the cats had to go.

My dogs don't have fur. They have hair so they don't shed.

Good lord. So anyway. I have been using KoolMist in the basement of my house for 6 months now and it never develops any smell. The steel cutting and tapping fluid and WD-40 add a pretty distintive smell though. The machines will have a "machine" smell for sure but I've not had anything get rank. I do keep it as clean as possible though. I hope it's not a room with carpet though. Chips destroy carpet and they are not real kid to wood when they embed in your shoes.
    CNC: Making incorrect parts and breaking stuff, faster and with greater precision.

I've been pretty impressed with Kool Mist for their safety. Kool Mist - Coolant Technical Data Sheet

Percicely why I first bought it.

Percicely why I first bought it.
    Do you use it as mist or as flood? I'm contemplating trying it as a flood.

Page 1 of 3 123