586,604 active members*
3,419 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Machine Multiple Parts in One Setup

Machine Multiple Parts in One Setup

Hi. I need ti create some toolpaths for 4mm thick parts. I need to cut multiple of the same parts from a piece of plate 300 x 80 x 4mm.

IS this possible to do do in Bobcad? Is it possible to offset the part (similar to bobnest)

Program I am using is V2 for SW

Quote Originally Posted by fidia View Post
    Hi. I need ti create some toolpaths for 4mm thick parts. I need to cut multiple of the same parts from a piece of plate 300 x 80 x 4mm.

IS this possible to do do in Bobcad? Is it possible to offset the part (similar to bobnest)

Program I am using is V2 for SW
    Just use "Translate > copy" the distance and as many copies as you want in the X and then translate that lot however many you want in the Y.

Regards

Hi. I have been supplied with a SW part model which I would need to re-draft to do a translate

2D OR 3D tool paths??If 2D,Extract Edges ,then Translate as Engine Guy said.?????????

3D shape.

Most controllers allow running sub-programs.

Essentially, you would program the work coordinate offsets in your controller (G59P1 thru G59P254, as needed) to represent the location of each part to machine. Then, you could manually edit your code by breaking it up into subprograms.

I do this to run multiple parts (up to 15 sometimes). Involves a lot of text editing. Below example shows how to break up two subs, and run them on two parts.

G20
    G0 G17 G40 G49 G54 G80 G90
    G64 (CONSTANT CONTOUR ON OR TURN OFF W/G61)
    (SETUP 1)
    (2 1/2 AXIS PROFILING)
    G59P1 (offset 1, that is, the first part)
    T2 M6
    G43 H2
    S18000 M03
    M98 P1 (call sub program to run)
    G59P2 (change offset for second part now)
    M98 P1 (call sub program to run on second part)
    G59P1 (changing back to first part)
    M98 P2 (running other sub on part 1)
    G59P2 (changing offset to second part)
    M98 P2 (run sub on second part)
    M05
    M30 (program end)
    O1 (sub program name)
    G01 X, Y etc
    etc
    etc
    M99 (end of sub program)
    O2 (sub program name)
    G01 X, Y etc
    etc
    etc
    M99 (end of sub program)

Hope that is not too confusing. Mach documentation does a much better job of explaining it.
    Cheers,
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by spoiledbrat View Post
    Most controllers allow running sub-programs.

Essentially, you would program the work coordinate offsets in your controller (G59P1 thru G59P254, as needed) to represent the location of each part to machine. Then, you could manually edit your code by breaking it up into subprograms.

I do this to run multiple parts (up to 15 sometimes). Involves a lot of text editing. Below example shows how to break up two subs, and run them on two parts.

G20
    G0 G17 G40 G49 G54 G80 G90
    G64 (CONSTANT CONTOUR ON OR TURN OFF W/G61)
    (SETUP 1)
    (2 1/2 AXIS PROFILING)
    G59P1 (offset 1, that is, the first part)
    T2 M6
    G43 H2
    S18000 M03
    M98 P1 (call sub program to run)
    G59P2 (change offset for second part now)
    M98 P1 (call sub program to run on second part)
    G59P1 (changing back to first part)
    M98 P2 (running other sub on part 1)
    G59P2 (changing offset to second part)
    M98 P2 (run sub on second part)
    M05
    M30 (program end)
    O1 (sub program name)
    G01 X, Y etc
    etc
    etc
    M99 (end of sub program)
    O2 (sub program name)
    G01 X, Y etc
    etc
    etc
    M99 (end of sub program)

Hope that is not too confusing. Mach documentation does a much better job of explaining it.
    Cheers,
    Rob

This is very helpful. Could you explain for e.g. for a square 20mm x 20mm x 3mm

Post the code on here, and I will edit it. Easier to show than tell.

Quote Originally Posted by fidia View Post
    Hi. I have been supplied with a SW part model which I would need to re-draft to do a translate
    Makes no difference whether it is a 3D solid or not, simple Translate will still create the copies for you, a few "clicks" and you are done

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Multiple Solids.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	62.3 KB 
ID:	172078

20mm squares in your 300mm x 80mm area

Or just create your multiple parts in Solidworks and then tool paths as you would normally do in V2.

No disrespect to the previous poster but stay away from large amounts of hand editing if you can, too easy to make a typo and damage something. Sorry, positively medievel Works great but a LOT of work

You shouldn`t need to anyway, BobCAD will out put subprograms if you want to go that route but you are best off in my experience just doing it all in one program with a single work offset.

Regards

No disrespect to the previous poster but ...

Not medievel, but required in some cicumstances. My products are approximately 3mb worth of code, or upwards of 300k lines of code (lots of 3d carving). Seems crazy to expect my controller to handle multiple 4.5 million lines of code, so I edit them as discussed. Well, I cheat. I have a piece of software that instances my toolpaths for me, based on GUI inputs. But it is easy to do.

Be careful, but not afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiledbrat View Post
    No disrespect to the previous poster but ...

Not medievel, but required in some cicumstances. My products are approximately 3mb worth of code, or upwards of 300k lines of code (lots of 3d carving). Seems crazy to expect my controller to handle multiple 4.5 million lines of code, so I edit them as discussed. Well, I cheat. I have a piece of software that instances my toolpaths for me, based on GUI inputs. But it is easy to do.

Be careful, but not afraid.
    No argument from me there, the old sub routines do cut things down considerably but I doubt the original Poster will have your "cheat" or experience of coding these. (No offence Brian )

As for large files I don`t care as a rule, you can either just "drip feed" them on the Fanuc from either a PC or a Facit, on the Mach3 machines those are PC driven so a 500Gb hard drive will hold many millions (Trillions ?) of lines of code, a lot anyway

Regards

Truth is, I paid an indonesian fellow on Odesk.com to write the editor for me. Best $500 I ever spent.

Mach theoretically "should" run millions of lines. I have never seen it in practice.

Picture shown is 4 toolchanges, running 5 products. takes my machine 5 hrs.

This is a great place to learn.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture.JPG  

Because you are using bobcam v2, what you would want to do is take your model and make a pattern, in other word make an array of your parts. Once you have the array then toolpath the parts.

For the v25 users you have a tool path pattern you can use. the tool path pattern can be applied to a single feature in the tree or the whole machine setup. Allowing you to program one part and make as many copies you need in x and y. Or as a rotaiton or even a 3d translate.....
    Al DePoalo
    Partner Product Manager BobCAD CAM, Inc. 866-408-3226 X147

I will work with the linear pattern and suppress the pattern after code is posted otherwise the top level assy will be impacted. I would like to explore the other option also