586,106 active members*
2,945 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

What gecko version ?

I am hoping to buy my first router machine soon,I am going for a gamble,and buying the Chinese 6040Z-S80,A lot of people on this Forum seem to have purchased them. What I am picking up is that while overall they would be a fair enough as a starter machine,for a novice like myself.I hope to do Wild Life Engravings on Wood , which I would need a accurate machine,If I was to install the Gecko 540 is it ? will this help to maintain better accuracy repositioning ? What else would I have to buy along with the Gecko,Power Supply etc? Could someone provide me with some information and links too buy,to make this a better running machine. Last point, what would be the best software to use on this machine,Artcam or Vetric? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Paul

Stepper drives really have no effect at all on accuracy. When you tell the machine to go to a certain position, then they send the motors to that position. If they didn't, the machine wouldn't be usable .
    If you use a G540, then yes, you'll also need a power supply.
    Your thread title asked which Gecko, but you didn't mention any other types in the post. Using Geckos other than the G540 will also usually require a breakout board as well.
    Other components you might need would be dictated by what options you instal on your machine.

As for software. If there was one best software, then all the other companies would go out of business. Why would anyone buy an inferior product?
    The fact is, with software, that you need to buy the one that YOU like best, not the one that I like best. You need to download demos, and learn how to use them well enough to decide which is the best option for you.
    Learn how to do the specific tasks you want to do when you get your machine.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)