586,055 active members*
4,376 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > GMC CNC Lathe 1330F informations, is this junk?

Exclamation GMC CNC Lathe 1330F informations, is this junk?

check this out http://www.machinetoolonline.com/CNC1330F.html

does anyone ever bought one of these or used them in any applications? I just need a medium size CNC lathe with a depandle control to run small batch of non-ferrous parts of parts 2-3 time a week and I WANT an automatic tool chage turret.

the control seems great since it's a SIEMENS 802S CNC control but the machine is the thing that makes me put the brakes on....

I requested more info from the seller... we'll see how it ends up but I would like your input or recommendations of this type of cnc lathe. I already have a Torq-Cut 22 from bridgeport running in the shop for about 2 months and I will be needing a lathe sometime soon.

thanks for any input!

Mathieu at MRZ Performance

I am looking to buy a similar machine or perhaps slightly smaller. Please let me know how this makes out for you.

anyone ever use or buy this lathe around?

I don't have any info for the machine, I do have a link for the control,that may help.

http://www.automation.siemens.com/do...05_e&scope=all

I skimmed thru the PDF, It looks very close to the 840D that I run on a $350,000.00 machine, not bad at all!

I had the manual version of this lathe for years. There was lots of metal (but a little soft) yet rigid enough for heavey cuts, however it would always chatter with a parting tool on mild steel no matter what I tried. Finally I came to the conclusion it was the spindle design - back then a double roller bearing. It was defiantly not "Hardinge" quality but did a reasonable job on steel and good on aluminium or brass. I notice no tolerances are provided in the spec? Generally there is not much attention paid to damping vibrations on these machines.

I currently have the manual version of "Mini CNC Lathe PicoTurn CNC" that Knuth USA sells, see www.knuth-usa.com. Same problems as above, metal soft and spindle not to rigid. However if you are prepared to invest some time in setup you can get quite acceptable results and most likely hold tolerances to 0.001". It always comes back too "You get what you pay for". I machine lots of 303 stainless.

You might want to look at McLean lathes - http://216.71.40.151/products.htm if the parts are not complex.

Thsat should be a great machine, as long as you take somewhat light cuts and with 3000RPM and CNC you can take a lot of cuts very quickly.
    My CNC lathe has pretty well the same turret toolpost, it is very slow toolchange and you have to be carefull to pick your toolchange spot where you wont swing your tools into things you dont want to.
    At $13000 it is pretty much a disposable machine and you should try and figure your payback over a 5 year term. With proper care it will last much longer than that, but I would still make sure to be ready to replace it just in case.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

thanks a lot for the input guys, i really appreciate to have your opinion. I'll continue to check out for this king of lathe since I'm not using it full time.

any other users on the forum?