586,075 active members*
4,093 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > MadCAM > How to customize Heidenhain postprocessor

How to customize Heidenhain postprocessor

I would like to add some variables to the Heidenhain 430 post on the beta version and to my madCam 4.3
    For the ease of use I need : "feedz" "coolant on" and "toolname"
    Could someone please give me an example. I tried to do it myself,but I don't know where and in what form to add these things.
    Regards
    Dirk

The attached post demonstrates all three.

Hope this helps,

Dan
    Attached Files Attached Files
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Hi Dan,
    the Heidenhain 430 post looks so different to the Hermle one.
    I have trouble with the feedz comand.
    the post is now :*RAPID APROACH*
    L"x""y""z" FMAX
    *APROACH*
    L"x""y""z" F "feed"
    All I want to achieve is to slow the feed when the cutter plunges to a deeper z level and it would be realy good if the cutter could than accelarate to the former feed rate.
    Thak you.

After experimentation with the feed comands in the post I am no wiser.
    I changed aproach and first cut to feedz and cut to feed.
    The aproach does work but because I ramp down to the next z level it speeds up too early.(before the cutter got down to the new z level.)
    I don't know if the Heidenhain controller accepts the feed rate in every line but I will know tomorrow.

My Hermle post is a Heidenhain post. It probably looks confusing because it's a 5-axis post. Try to ignore the 5-axis specific code. I would think that the 3 features you want to add will work the same in your post.

Dan
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Hi Dan,
    I have done the mods to the post.The tool name and the "feedz" works sort of.
    Coolant on does not work.I will attach my post and a few samples of the program I made.I hope there is another aproach to ramping down to a new z depth.In the moment the first 2 lines of comand have changed the feed rate as specified with the cutter, but if the cutter ramps down around an arc, there are up to 6 more lines that need editing manualy.I did this yesterday with 15000 lines of code and did not like it.Sadly I am not trained in EXEL,or I could have developed a rule to do it.
    Second problem :when I programed the counterboring I used the pocket comand and adjusted the ramping to 5 degrees.That was all good,but after the cutter got to the Z depth it did another 4 laps around before it went to the next hole.
    Maybe you know a trick or 2 to overcome this.
    Kind Regards
    Dirk

Hi Dirk,

Yeah, editing code manually is not what you should have to do.

I made some changes to your post. If you attached the model that you used to generate that code, I could test it and tweak it a bit more. In the meantime, I will attach my revised version. The coolant should work now. You had defined the coolant code but failed to actually include the command anywhere in your post. Also, there were a couple of sections missing which I added.

For some reason it slipped my mind the other day that we have a Heidenhain controller on our 3 axis Awea. I will attach my post for that, which might be helpful. Keep in mind that this post is for madCAM 5, so ignore the fixture offset part. That won't work in 4.3.

As for the counterbore issue, I'd like to see that model as well. I don't have madCAM 4.3 installed anymore, but I can see how it would behave in 5.

Dan

Hi Dan,
    Thank you for the reply.All my experiments are done in madCam5 beta.
    The job has been machined today ,but I try to streamline my programing because for small runs I don't want to spend days programing.
    The machine I use is a Deckel Maho 3+2 (table rotation and tilt are manual)
    One day I will use the full 5 axis post,but I am not there yet.
    Old farts don't learn as quick.
    Cheers
    Dirk