586,105 active members*
3,343 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > microstep settings, what is it, what does it do?

microstep settings, what is it, what does it do?

i have the option to do 1/2 steps= 400 steps/per rev, 1/8 steps=1600 steps/rev, or 1/16 steps= 3200 steps/per rev. im not sure what benefit these options will provide?

Microstepping mainly makes the motor run smoother.

It also provides more resolution, but not necessarily any more accuracy. Take for example a machine that has a resolution of 0.001" per full step. With 10 microsteps it would theoretically have 0.0001" resolution, but the microsteps aren't evenly spaced and can't really be relied on except for the 1/2 steps. So the real world resolution is something less. That kind of resolution is hard to achieve anyway without a perfect machine base to start with.

You also have to be aware that microstepping reduces torque on a stepper somewhat too.

All this adds up to a compromise. I use 1/8 microstepping for smoother running. I have also run at 1/2 step and it was fine, but 1/8 is a bit smoother. Anything higher that 1/10 is useless in my opinion. You can always give it a try though and switch back later uf you want.

I agree, The Gecko540 gives you only one option for that reason. They uStep in 1/10 increments. Anything past that and you run into torque and physical non-linearity issues with the stepper motor itself. You will find less unpleasant sounding resonance using 1/8 step but much less torque. I would advise using the 1/8 step if you have the torque and 1/16 wont buy you much. The inductance of your steppers also play a part in the equation. The higher the inductance the more voltage you will need to drive them. If you are losing torque, you can push up your PS voltage so long as you dont exceed the controller's spec'ed voltage rating.

The simple answer is: the more microsteps, the less vibration. You likely won't notice any difference above 16.

Quote Originally Posted by H500 View Post
    The simple answer is: the more microsteps, the less vibration. You likely won't notice any difference above 16.
    Too simple. more microsteps = less vibration but also less torque. That can't be ignored. Here is a list of microstep vs percent of full holding torque

Microsteps/full step Holding Torque/Microstep
    1 100.00%
    2 70.71%
    4 38.27%
    8 19.51%
    16 9.80%
    32 4.91%
    64 2.45%
    128 1.23%
    256 0.61%

MICROMO - Microstepping: Myths and Realities

I have the tb 6560 single axis controllers for 3 axis system, and i have it set at on/on at 1/8 step. i have noticed that when i adjust the steps per inch it changes the size of the part being cut. Will changing the switches/ microstep settings alter the part size? Im new to this plasma cnc stuff and this is my first table scratch built. I made a simple 3x3 square in inkscape and sent it to sheetcam then to mach3 and had to adjust the steps per inch to get the right size. At first try i could only get a 1x2 square until i made adjustments to get the proper size part that matched the size I drew up in inkscape.

Quote Originally Posted by 109jb View Post
    Too simple. more microsteps = less vibration but also less torque. That can't be ignored.
    The force per incremental microstep limits the practical resolution which can be achieved, but not the maximum force that can be produced. A drive set to 16 microsteps will produces approximately the same peak motor torque as one set to full stepping.

Quote Originally Posted by greenjeens View Post
    I have the tb 6560 single axis controllers for 3 axis system, and i have it set at on/on at 1/8 step. i have noticed that when i adjust the steps per inch it changes the size of the part being cut. Will changing the switches/ microstep settings alter the part size?
    If you change the microstep settings, you need to tell Mach 3 so that it can scale the step pulses accordingly.

Im assuming you mean adjusting the steps/inch when you say i need to tell mach3

Quote Originally Posted by greenjeens View Post
    Im assuming you mean adjusting the steps/inch when you say i need to tell mach3
    Yes
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Excellent! thanks for the help everyone.