586,110 active members*
3,281 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 3 123
    Ok, I've decided to get a k40 machine and do the dsp conversion from Lightobject.

I had ordered a machine a day ago on ebay but the seller is now telling me they don't have them in stock.

Does anyone have an opinion on who the best seller on ebay is for one of these? I don't want to import one so it has to be a seller that ships from the USA.

It would also be nice to find a newer version of the k40 with a PWM power supply. I've asked a couple of the seller but they never know what I'm talking about (lost in translation I suppose).

Why would you want to buy what is essentially a piece of crap -- a smaller 60x40cm or a 30 x 40cm machine from Shenui or G Weike will be a mile better ,and end up costing you less and will work out the box...
    Rodney , Cape Town , South Africa
    www.tokerbros.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Gold View Post
    Why would you want to buy what is essentially a piece of crap -- a smaller 60x40cm or a 30 x 40cm machine from Shenui or G Weike will be a mile better ,and end up costing you less and will work out the box...
    Hmmm, doesn't really answer my question but I'll bite...

Does Shenui or G Weike have dealers in the USA? If they do, great, but I'm really not wanting to import something.

You can buy a k40 for less than $800 then upgrade it for around $600. What other options are there for around $1400? And yes I've considered used but I really want a small desktop laser and most of them even on the used market are much more expensive.

Thank you dear Rodney,Your support make our motivation!We will do more and more better!
    Best regards
    John

After spending your $1400 , you will still have what is essentially a POS. You cant make a silk purse out of a sows ear. but it's your money , do what you want. IMHO its stupid to put good money after bad in respect of upgrading rubbish.
    I go to china and have visited factories and seen many models , no reputable laser mnfgr there will advise you to buy one of those machines and in fact some , even tho they might make a model like that , would refuse to sell you one.

Importing isn't rocket science or difficult , get a broker to do it for you.

If you want a tool that actually DOES work and works well , up the ante and get yourself something REALLY useful. $3k should be enough.
    www.tokerbros.co.za

Probably the most affordable machine that will actually work for a living is the LG3040 and it should be possible to import that for under $3000.

I agree that $3000 isn't bad for a decent machine but that's about double my current budget.

And yes, I realize importing something isn't rocket science but that's one more expense if I have someone do it for me.

I'm starting a new business and I'm spending money like a maniac. I simply can't go any higher right now.

I don't recall if I mentioned it before, the main focus of my business is sublimation printing but I want to be able to do a few laser engraved items from time to time. Mostly small name tags.

From what I see on these forums, most people want to cut with their lasers and I personally wouldn't get a k40 for that. 99% of what I want to do is simple small engraving.

Basically, even though I know it's a "pos" I'm probably going with a modified k40 unless I can find something that I don't have to import for around $1500, and I don't think that exists. If it does please chime in.

So... Has anyone had a good experience with a k40 seller on ebay?

Sounds to me like it would make more sense to shop out the work if it is only occasional and low volume. If the US market is anything like the UK there are a lot of people out there with lasers struggling to get by and consequently prices are very low.

I have not had any experience with Ebay sellers but judging by product descriptions it looks like there are several different Ebay accounts used by what is effectively the same seller. My concern buying from an Ebay seller is that they are just drop shippers with no support available if you have any problems.

I don't see shops with lasers in this area struggling at all. I currently work full time for one of them and they can't keep up with the volume of work they bring in. I suppose it depends on what you're doing.

And, the owner of the company and I have worked out a deal for them to do my large orders so I'm kind of set there.

I still want a small laser in my shop for small orders. And honestly, I just want one. I've always been into small cnc machines too. I can live with a $1400 or $1500 machine not being top of the line. Like I said, I know that going in so there's no surprise there.

I'm not going to ***** though, I know I was originally asking for opinions about the machine and I do appreciate the responses.

But back to the question... Does anyone have a good experience with a k40 seller (that ships from the United States) on ebay? If so please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by epilotdk View Post
    Sounds to me like it would make more sense to shop out the work if it is only occasional and low volume. If the US market is anything like the UK there are a lot of people out there with lasers struggling to get by and consequently prices are very low.

I have not had any experience with Ebay sellers but judging by product descriptions it looks like there are several different Ebay accounts used by what is effectively the same seller. My concern buying from an Ebay seller is that they are just drop shippers with no support available if you have any problems.

Seems you determined to throw your money away , you could get a laser PRINTER and do colour laser toner transfer to compliment your subli work for under $400. You already have the heat press.. I been in the business for many years , have seen these machines , seen em work and would never touch one with a bargepole as either a hobbyist or god forbid , in a commercial environment. If you want an idea of my operation and fields of expertise , look at my website in my signature. Anyway I'm done , you can take a hoss to water but cant make em drink.
    www.tokerbros.co.za

You seem to assume a lot about what I'm thinking and doing...

I actually do laser transfers every day too. Magic Touch to be exact. On the subject of a system that sucks and that's unreliable, that's what I think of laser transfers in general. They're good for a few things but 99% of the time I would rather do sublimation.

And yes, I really don't mind throwing away a few bucks to play around a bit. I'll probably move up to a large laser after I get tired of farming the work out (assuming work comes).

And you're done? With what? Not contributing to the thread in a useful manner? Good.

Seems you determined to throw your money away , you could get a laser PRINTER and do colour laser toner transfer to compliment your subli work for under $400. You already have the heat press.. I been in the business for many years , have seen these machines , seen em work and would never touch one with a bargepole as either a hobbyist or god forbid , in a commercial environment. If you want an idea of my operation and fields of expertise , look at my website in my signature. Anyway I'm done , you can take a hoss to water but cant make em drink.

When you're buying a laser for $800 and $300 of that is for the laser tube, that means you're looking at $500 for the rest of the machine. Does that sound right to you?

It's your call but you'd probably be better off not bothering with this machine at all.

I see 40 watt tubes on ebay all the time for around $170 (that's with shipping). Are those for a different machine?

I've already acknowledged that I know these machines are cheap, low end, pos, all that good stuff.

Anyway, I give up too. I was told you can't discuss the cheap lasers on this forum without everyone getting their panties in a bunch and I guess that's true.

Well, if I end up getting one I'll post up how it works out. If it ends up being a total waste of money someone else can learn from my mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by RossMosh View Post
    When you're buying a laser for $800 and $300 of that is for the laser tube, that means you're looking at $500 for the rest of the machine. Does that sound right to you?

It's your call but you'd probably be better off not bothering with this machine at all.

Toasty--
    I have one of the lasers that you are considering. I have had mine for about 2 years now. The first year I had it, I needed a new laser power supply, the vendor that I bought it from sent me a new one. Just about 8 months ago, I needed a new laser tube (168.00 shipped to my door, not 300.00). About 3 months ago, the Moshi board went bad and I decided to upgrade the machine to a DSP from Lightobjects. Best decision I made. I have had the machine for 2 years now, and enjoy it. Yes, there are horror stories about the machine. I am happy for those on this forum that are fortunate enough to be able to afford what a really good laser costs..I can not. I now have a machine, with the same controller as the 'big manufacturers'. Of course, if you speak to the vendors from China, they are going to tell you to leave the cheaper machine alone, they would sell you one that makes them more money. I have been happy with my machine. You have to go into this with an open mind, knowing that just about anything can go wrong, and probably will. But, if you are willing to fix what breaks, you are good to go. Just buy with the idea that you can make it better.
    Don't everyone start giving me grief now, just because my experience was not as bad as the ohters.

Milt

K-40 on Ebay

I am Jenny from Gweike Laser.
    After read all the thread. I find most people do not like k-40.
    Anyway, compare the lg3040 you mentioned, there a following difference.
    focus: realy k-40 is hard to find it's right focus. and the thickness of processing material is limited. But for thinner plastic, acrylic, it still can do better engraving.
    Our WK40 have an the manul up/down table, although only 5-7cm, it give better improvment.
    Power: k-40 usually coming 25-30w laser tube, not 40w as adverting. LG3040 coming with actally 40w tube
    rail: k-40 moving slowly and do not have linear guilding rail like LG3040. so the speed is lower.
    Software: our wk40 coming with Newlydraw software, can do engraving and cutting both. to adjust power, have to use the button on the top of machine. can not do it through software. LG3040 coming with DSP controller, Lasercut software. this software is more friendly, can adjust power and speed etc. also support the output through Coredraw and CAD.

Sure the tube price is less than USD200.
    And the DHL air cost to send this WK40 to your door, USA is about USD600.

In my view, Wk40 is good choice for hobby or customer who do not produce the awards or crafts in big quantity per time.

Toasty, attachment is some picture of WK40 as your reference. Although you do not have plane on importing. Hope can give some info as reference
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1696.jpg   IMG_5936.jpg   IMG_1691.jpg   IMG_1689.jpg  

[email protected]

I have my 40w laser up for sale, $2000 shipped in US. Tube just died on me this weekend though, so I'll have to source and install a new one before it's ready to go. It's a Full Spectrum Hobby Laser, but with some additional modifications. It's been a great little unit, but I've got a new larger one on the way. Video of my mods here: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1ZNBix7dZw]Full Spectrum Engineering 40w Hobby Laser Modifications - YouTube[/ame]

Cutting area: 15.4"x10.3"

Anyone know anything about the 40w unit automationtechnologiesinc.com is selling? Is it the same one you all are talking about?
    Inner Vision Development Corp. - http://www.ivdc.com
    Website Design & Development. Shopping Carts, SEO and more!

yes it is exactly the same machine. please take note of that says there is no phone support. if you purchase this machine it may or may not work correctly out of the box this is a chance you take for these units.

Milt

Jenny, tell me does the LG3040 come with air assist? what will be the DHL air cost to my door in Nederlands for the K-40 and the LG? can PM me?.
    Quote Originally Posted by GWEIKE-LASER View Post
    I am Jenny from Gweike Laser.
    After read all the thread. I find most people do not like k-40.
    Anyway, compare the lg3040 you mentioned, there a following difference.
    focus: realy k-40 is hard to find it's right focus. and the thickness of processing material is limited. But for thinner plastic, acrylic, it still can do better engraving.
    Our WK40 have an the manul up/down table, although only 5-7cm, it give better improvment.
    Power: k-40 usually coming 25-30w laser tube, not 40w as adverting. LG3040 coming with actally 40w tube
    rail: k-40 moving slowly and do not have linear guilding rail like LG3040. so the speed is lower.
    Software: our wk40 coming with Newlydraw software, can do engraving and cutting both. to adjust power, have to use the button on the top of machine. can not do it through software. LG3040 coming with DSP controller, Lasercut software. this software is more friendly, can adjust power and speed etc. also support the output through Coredraw and CAD.

Sure the tube price is less than USD200.
    And the DHL air cost to send this WK40 to your door, USA is about USD600.

In my view, Wk40 is good choice for hobby or customer who do not produce the awards or crafts in big quantity per time.

Toasty, attachment is some picture of WK40 as your reference. Although you do not have plane on importing. Hope can give some info as reference

Quote Originally Posted by Connor9220 View Post
    Anyone know anything about the 40w unit automationtechnologiesinc.com is selling? Is it the same one you all are talking about?
    I see on their page that they have one modified to use Mach 3 software for $220 more than the basic unit. That one doesn't mention no support. They also have a 50 watt listed that looks like the 50 watt ebay units but it doesn't have the rotary attachment.

Page 2 of 3 123