586,102 active members*
3,213 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: 3D Chamfer

3D Chamfer

Is there a way in BC to mill a 3D chamfer like in the attached part? I've tried everything I can think of in all the 3D milling options
    Attached Files Attached Files

I haven t look at your file but this is what I would do.

Extract the edges of the chamfer profile

Offset for tool

Use 3d engrave

Depending on how complex the geometry is, these steps should work.
    Al DePoalo
    Partner Product Manager BobCAD CAM, Inc. 866-408-3226 X147

I took a look. It's a complex curve, could be done with 5 axis, if you were so lucky to have one. If you're like me, your not that lucky. I tried a 3D-Spiral Cut and it came out decent. I don't know how accurate this has to be. It's just a quickie, hope it can be of some use.

Al, I believe it is a complex curve. The chamfer varies from a 45° to a ~51° angle. I know you haven't seen it yet. If anyone else has taken a look and has an idea, I would be interested as well. I remember a similar thread on the old BobCAD forum that dealt with a fillet radius on the edge of a cylinder.

Quote Originally Posted by SBC Cycle View Post
    I took a look. It's a complex curve, could be done with 5 axis, if you were so lucky to have one. If you're like me, your not that lucky. I tried a 3D-Spiral Cut and it came out decent. I don't know how accurate this has to be. It's just a quickie, hope it can be of some use.

Al, I believe it is a complex curve. The chamfer varies from a 45° to a ~51° angle. I know you haven't seen it yet. If anyone else has taken a look and has an idea, I would be interested as well. I remember a similar thread on the old BobCAD forum that dealt with a fillet radius on the edge of a cylinder.
    That is what I drew from the customers print, I'm sure they would accept 'just' a 45° angle all the way around. I didn't do the prototypes for this part but I know that any of the suppliers that my customer uses don't have 5 axis either. A 3D spiral cut might work but if Als idea of the engraving works that sounds like the easiest, at least until I get helical interpolation on the mill.

The engraving works, I'll have to add a lead in and cutter comp but other than that it looks good. Thanks guys:cheers:

Will this work for ya?
    Path is easy enough... don't know your tooling or material

Thanks Jest, that would definitely work but this is chamfer on an agricultural part, not 'worth' all that time. I'm going to use a variation of Als suggestion and do the chamfer in a couple of passes with a 90° chamfer tool