586,117 active members*
3,393 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Phase Converters > Indexing with Delta VFD-M

Indexing with Delta VFD-M

Hi
    I bought a Delta VFD-M so that I could use it's simple indexing function to align the drive dogs on my spindle. I'm having a really rough time of getting it to work.

Does anyone have any experience with the indexing function on this drive?

I think the VFD-B uses the same indexing.

Thanks
    Derek

I've got the same VFD and the same goal. It doesn't look like you got a whole lot of help with this, did you ever figure it out?

cheers,
    c

I know my VFD is not very good for indexing. I just use an aux input on VFD to make it inch at very low speed and drop an index dog into place to trap the position.
    I have output contact on VFD, that closes when actual speed is below 40 RPM, to lockout the above feature. Inching is programmed to be 30 RPM.
    As soon as dog drops in it's contacts remove the inching input. Whirrr clunk. !! that's it.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

Thanks Neil, that's my fallback plan. I was hoping to do it electronically to avoid making extra parts. I think that this unit can do it, but they sure don't want you to know how. I just ordered a little air cylinder from China this morning, in-case I have to do it mechanically. It arrives in two weeks, so I've got two weeks to try to figure out an easier way

cheers,
    c

Ultimately I gave up with that and went with a shot pin arrangement. My problem with the indexing was I have a 2 pole motor so there was too much spacing (conjecture) between the poles. A 4 pole motor would probably do a much better job. The techs at Delta seemed to agree with me on that. The indexing is a function that's there but none of them had a ton of experience with it.

Derek