586,047 active members*
3,787 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > differences between Fanuc 10M vs FAnuc OM

differences between Fanuc 10M vs FAnuc OM

Looking at 2 machines. One has a 1990 Fanuc OM, the other has a 1989 Fanuc 10M. Can anyone tell me the differences between the OM and 10M them? And on the control how do I determine the memory installed, and maximum memory that can be installed? do both of these controls support drip feed?

We will be doing 3axis surface machining with this control.

There were different versions of each, the 0 was the small work horse version and spanned a few of the other versions, such as the 10 and on etc.
    All version are purchased initially with the required options, most of these are in the control but have to be turned on by changing a 0 to a 1 in the option parameters.
    Drip feed again depended on the version and whether the ladder had to be changed to incorporate.
    The early A & B versions of the 0 could not display the ladder.
    For three axis machining, the 10 would most likely be the best choice.
    But it would be handy to get a read out of the option parameters in either, the 0 are 900's and the 10 are the 9000's.
    The 10 was the forerunner of the more sophisticated controls.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Al,

I found a few threads on PM, regarding the 10M specifically. They basically say some 10M versions are very limited on memory (80meters max) and DON'T support drip feed. Others go to 640meter and do drip, like you mentioned. How can I tell at the control, which version 10M it is?

I have a Fanuc OT-Mate on a Mori lathe and it is the most limited control I have ever seen. I realize that comparing between a lathe and Vmc is not equal, but it sounds like the OM is the more basic control generally...

clay

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    There were different versions of each, the 0 was the small work horse version and spanned a few of the other versions, such as the 10 and on etc.
    All version are purchased initially with the required options, most of these are in the control but have to be turned on by changing a 0 to a 1 in the option parameters.
    Drip feed again depended on the version and whether the ladder had to be changed to incorporate.
    The early A & B versions of the 0 could not display the ladder.
    For three axis machining, the 10 would most likely be the best choice.
    But it would be handy to get a read out of the option parameters in either, the 0 are 900's and the 10 are the 9000's.
    The 10 was the forerunner of the more sophisticated controls.
    Al.

Here's the official blurb.
    The Mate controllers are generally used to control one or two additional axes. They are very basic.
    IMO the 10 series is a more powerful control than the 0 and can have a 14" color screen as well, which is also nice. The 0 is just a basic control that gets the jobs done without fancy frills. The memory can be upgraded. Check the tech specs in the attached and compare maximum memory capabilities and other things.
    There's a page in the control accessed via the ladder menu screens that will tell you the version of the Fanuc control and software revisions. To check the tech specs/options etc at the control is nearly impossible without secret documentation which you would not have. But options can be added (for a price) if required.
    Attached Files Attached Files

One way to find out is to get a listing of the 9000 parameters and there is documentation available now that can tell what you have and can add options where this is available.
    Al.

Albert E.

An OT mate on a Mori lathe? Never seen that control on any mori. You could have a stripped down 0t, without tool offset B, macro etc..

The original 10 used bubble memory and was somewhat slow. Fanuc sells a replacement ram board for those, it also increased memory by quite a bit. Think it was about 1200

the purchasing decision can also be influenced by the type of machining that is required. both controls should be capable of machining the same parts. price is also another factor to consider :-)

0M vs 10M

Biggest concern is memory capacity, and drip feed capability, secondary are options installed/available. Where might I find an option parameter list?

If it has a TAPE selection on the front panel does it support Drip feed?

If there isn't a ladder screen, how do I determine if they are -A, B, or C control versions? Is it labeled somewhere or on the software start-up screen?

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    One way to find out is to get a listing of the 9000 parameters and there is documentation available now that can tell what you have and can add options where this is available.
    Al.

Some times the owner has, or should at least, have it in hard copy.
    If you can obtain it, I can tell you.
    The memory is expandable up to a point by simple bit change, after that a extra hardware upgrade is required.
    Poster, Memoryman has a product that will provide the hardware upgrade if needed.
    Al.

Albert E.

The option parameter list should be provided with the documentation and manuals
    that come with a CNC machine or punch out the parameters to a PC.
    To know what those options are will require secret info.
    The admins have rules about not posting that info here so you will need to discuss that via PM or email.