587,030 active members*
3,439 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > MC V9 Casting Stock Definition

MC V9 Casting Stock Definition

How can I import and set a model of a casting as a parts stock defenition?

- Draw your casting as a solid.
    - Save it as an STL file

- Now when going to verify, select your stock def. "from file" and point to your .stl file that you just created.

hth

No need to save as an STL, you can verify a parasolid or an IGES file too.

PEACE

I belive I may have misstated what I am looking for,
    Is there a way to set a solid model as a stock definition, so that when I generate a tool path it will see the casting and adjust for machining stock, draft on walls, or a round part in the say Y/Z axis
    What I run into quite abit, are large round parts. That require a good portion of the radius on one side to be cut out,
    If I set one boundry to the max material condition, it generates a program that cuts air for a good portion of the program while it is high on the radius.
    I have tryed to generate multiple boundrys based on the depth and changing material conditions, but this can get quite time consuming. there has to be a better way.

I am looking to place in a model that the generated tool path will adjust for as the material conditions change

Is this possible with Mc 9???

Thanks

I don't think so. mastercam is very dumb when it comes to stock. It is for show only and does not consider it in it's toolpath calculations.

Well I am not with Dmealer and his statement. but it does not have stock recognition at this time for mill only for Lathe at this time.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Can Anyone recommend a high end system like M-Cam that would have stock recognition for both mill 2-5 axis and lathe with multi turret/spindle & live tooling.

Thanks

I stand corrected. Excuse my lack of knowledge about MC lathe. I can only hope they implement it in mill, because it is very annoying. And I would think MC mill represents a far greater % of the market share.

As far as camcrashes last question...check out Featurecam. I have used it extensivly with 2.5,3D, 4th axis and lathe. It has very good stock recognition in all phases.
    Especially when it comes to importing a solid model for stock. The solid model alignment wizard is so easy you will be shaking your head.

Thanks for all the responses.
    It is appreciated, and has given me some thing to look at in the near future.

dmealer I am have to say I did not mean to come off like it is looking. there is nothing wrong with your knowledge I just did not agree with the statment.
    They will be implement more of that and much more with the newest release of X.

He can look at UG that has it.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Cadcam,
    I was not offended in any way. I apologize if I made it seem so.

Regards,
    Dmealer

How is it with calculating toolpath from custom stock in mastercam x?

If is it possible, can you please tell me how.

MC-x Mr2 does not use the stock for machining the lrft over as in stock recanetion.
    But X2 that is going to release will have some of this now and more to come.

There is some in the advance multy Axis that can do some stock rec in Mr2.
    Cadcam