586,465 active members*
3,703 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Pulling Spindle....

I need to pull the spindle on my BP clone. I *think* this is supposed to be as simple as un-doing a set-screw on the back of the quill, removing the "cap" from the bottom end of the quill, then just pushing the spindle out. Is this correct, or is there more to it? How hard is it to tap it out? I tried this once, and couldn't get it to budge.

BTW, if anyone here is interested, I've recently built a 10-tool carousel toolchanger for my machine:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54s0aoAT37o&feature=g-crec-u]2012-11-27_13-30-42_528.mp4 - YouTube[/ame]

Regards,
    Ray L.

Well, the spindle is out. It appears my BP clone is slightly different from a real BP in that the top bearing does not come out with the spindle - it stays in the quill. There is a snap ring on the spindle that must be removed to allow the spindle to come out, so I ended up having to almost completely disassemble the head. Just as well, I've found a couple of the bearings are noisy, so I'm just going to replace them all. I can get Nachi's for about $50 for all four (front pulley bearings, and dog clutch bearings).

Also turns out the top of the spindle is OK. There was another spacer down in there, ansd that's what got chewed up, not the spindle end. That was a nice surprise.

Regards,
    Ray L.

I like your automatic tool changer

I've been looking at some Nachi bearings myself. I may order some next month. Let us know how they work out.

Quote Originally Posted by punisher454 View Post
    I've been looking at some Nachi bearings myself. I may order some next month. Let us know how they work out.
    Will do. Probably be Tuesday before I'll be able to put them in.

Regards,
    Ray L.

I did receive the new Nachi bearings from VXB yesterday, and they went in without a hitch. They feel very nice, so no complaints. I don't have the entire head back together, so won't have it under power until probably next Tues. or Weds., but I see no reason the Nachis will not work very nicely.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Very cool, I assume those are the inexpensive ABEC-3 ones.
    My mill is missing the spindle bearing spacers so I intend to just order two sets and set them up in a quadraplex arrangment. I may be totally off but I am thinking that by doubling them up they may end up with less runout. I measured the spindle and it seems that there is just enough space for 4 bearings without the spacer.

Very curious as to what your runout will be with those.

I'd be surprised if these affect runout, since they are above the fog clutch, which I suspect will absorb any small runout that might be there. The spindle bearings are all ABEC1, and there is less than 0.0002" runout at the taper.

Regards,
    Ray L.