586,112 active members*
3,189 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Business Practices > Business Practices / Pricing > Manufacturing software/tablets-laptops used?

Manufacturing software/tablets-laptops used?

We are a small manufacturing company (12 employees-7 of which are machinists/fabricators). We are starting to look into manufacturing software that would allow lean manufacturing, ability for quotes, work orders, data base inventory etc. There was a idea of getting tablets for our crew that would allow looking up data (prints, work orders, scanning barcodes on product) on the floor. My question is this, what are some of you that work in a smaller shop enviroment using? Does it work? Can you see any time being cut by using software vs. physical paperwork? Does anyone use tablets in the shop enviroment? Any help/advise would be greatly appreciated.

Hi
    We use a ipad in our toolroom. All models are viewed with a Siemens app. We also use a mindmap program to assist with planning. Tool databooks and catalogs as well as internet availability are also on the pad. I firmly believe there is a place for tablets in the workshop enviroment. The more we use it the better the apps that will be devoloped.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Tapatalk 2
    Riaan

Just make sure whatever tablet you consider can communicate with your office hardware. I find this iPad somewhat limiting on what it can do.

I have not found that computers speed things up in the work place. It is more a factor of "getting along with technology" with your suppliers and customers. More and more, customers will send electronic files containing solid models and such that do not contain full dimensioning.

I have not found any touch screen computer that will hold up as well as a classic keyboard and mouse set up.

Licenses for any engineering software will kill you, even with discounts for multiples. You would probably be better off to hire a "document manager".

Is your table a mess? The tablet will be much the same.

I realy think that in a couple of years time you shpuld be able to walk on the shopfloor with a tablet and see what any cnc is doing via wifi connection. My 828d Siemens already have a remote viewer via desktop wich has all the same functionality as the controller, exept the cycke start buttom. The big promblem is not the tablet itself, it is the software. Both acad, solid edge and solid works already have apps available. I'm sure once Funuc and siemens and Haas brings out apps you would see a dramatic increase in tablets in the workspace.The massive popularity of tablets means its only a question of when rather than if.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Tapatalk 2
    Riaan