586,096 active members*
3,886 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Electronics problem =( g0704
Page 1 of 2 12

Electronics problem =( g0704

Hey guys, I signed up for this site awhile ago lurking around here and there. I've been wanting a Cnc mill for a long time so I purchased a g0704 because of the popularity, support and "easy" conversion to Cnc.

Machiniclly everything is good, I installed ball screws etc all looks perfect, so I got the stepers etc. High-Torque Stepper Motor, Stepper Motor, Driver, Stepper Motor kit, DC Servo Motor, DC Servo Motor kit, Stepper Motor Power Supply, CNC Router, Spindle, and other Components. Automation Technology Inc is the kit I bought thinking the rest will be a breeze, seems it isn't lol I started by testing and that's as far as I got. The stepper is getting power(locking up) everything looks like it should work, but of course why would it right =X

Specs
    G0704
    Ball screws
    Bdtools mounts
    This stepper kit, psu, digital drivers, and a c10 bob High-Torque Stepper Motor, Stepper Motor, Driver, Stepper Motor kit, DC Servo Motor, DC Servo Motor kit, Stepper Motor Power Supply, CNC Router, Spindle, and other Components. Automation Technology Inc
    Tower is a older compaq 1.3 ghz 512mb ram
    Tower only puts out 3.5 volts instead of 5v documentation says 3.5-5 is ok going to bob
    Cable is 25ft 1:1 db25

Everything is wired like ati says, I noticed cnc4pc has it wired differently should I try that?

I donno what else I can do, I suspect the computer or the cable but I am I little fustrated.

I'd appciate any help

I can answer any questions

Thanks guys
    -joe

I can suggest some troubleshooting (problem determination) steps that you can take, but first a few questions.

Do you have the C10 breakout board jumpered such that the common pins on the output are set to +5 volts or to ground? What other jumper positions have you set?

How is cnc4pc's wiring different from the Automation Technology wiring diagram?

I might be suspicious of using a 25-foot parallel cable due to the potential for degradation of the signals, but there is not enough information yet to point to the cable being the cause of your problems.

ati's wiring wants the jumpers to be set to gnd, cnc4pc's wants 5v.

http://cnc4pc.com/Tech_Docs/1_C10R10.PDF
    http://www.automationtechnologiesinc...56DWithC10.pdf

i have only tried it ati's way, ive read that both ways are "right" but i still havent been able to get my motors turning.

to answer your question i currently have it set to ground, but have tried the other way aswell. the other jumpers are set to 1-2 as well

thank you for your time
    -joe

What controller software? Did you set the parallel port pin configuration in your controller software?

i am using mach3, i have the port set to 0378 and im using the 8com9 pins on the bob and its also set to 8(stp)-9(dir) on the ports n pins page.

After reading your post I noticed that you are relying on the voltage at the port (3.5v)
    I have found that the C10 BOB requires 5v from a separate supply.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.andaya View Post
    ati's wiring wants the jumpers to be set to gnd, cnc4pc's wants 5v.

http://cnc4pc.com/Tech_Docs/1_C10R10.PDF
    http://www.automationtechnologiesinc...56DWithC10.pdf

i have only tried it ati's way, ive read that both ways are "right" but i still havent been able to get my motors turning.

to answer your question i currently have it set to ground, but have tried the other way aswell. the other jumpers are set to 1-2 as well

thank you for your time
    -joe
    If you have wired the step and direction lines to Pul- and Dir- respectively, then Pul+ and Dir+ must be wired to +5 volts. The usual way to do that is to select the C10's output jumper setting to set the common to +5 volts (and wire up the common pin between the step and direction pins to Pul+ and Dir+).

As Owlsnest mentioned, do you have a +5 volt supply hooked up to the C10 board's power and enable lines? Can you verify with a multimeter that you have +5 volts available at the common pins (after changing the jumper)?

What do you have the switches on the drivers set to?
    Most common problem I see is the jumpers set to software mode.
    As has been mentioned the parallel cable must be the correct type, did you get one from automation tech?
    The cable must be an extension with the same pinouts as the port.
    Hoss
    http://www.hossmachine.info - Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- http://www.g0704.com - http://www.bf20.com - http://www.g0602.com

The c10 has 5v and the en line is jumpered for testing, j have tried to change the jumper to 5v@com and same thing but i will try it again. I got the cable from a electronics store, it says 1:1 on the package I will verify the pins today. The dip switches on the drivers are set like the you tube video I watched(his worked perfectly =/ ) off on on off on on on off

Thank you guys for the help

Just to clear up I have
    2 nema23's 570oz
    1 nema34 960oz
    2 5056d's
    1 8070d
    C10 bob
    48v 12.5 amp psi
    5v walwart

Currently testing one driver and nema23 on ports 8-9

Have you assigned any hotkeys? How are you trying to make the machine move? MDI commands?

I am using the arrow keys. x is left right, y is up down, z is pg up pg down

The dro is moving, I have the y and z disabled in ports n pin, I also have the ratio set to pin 0 on both sections, I will test the cable when my daughter takes a nap.

Should I try to wire it like cnc4pc says?

-joe

If you monitor the voltage on pin 9 (Dir) when you jog the corresponding axis in one direction and then the other, does the voltage on that pin show 0 volts in one direction and close to 5 volts in the other direction?

Try a short cable to check if the length is a problem.

Don

I made a mistake on the computer type it is a hp pavilion 500

Ok guys I did a little testing, parallel port is reading 3.5 volts at pin 9 like it should. Cable is reading the same all the way..... Bob is showing 5v at 9 when jogged.... So now it looks like the dips on my driver are not set right correct?

Quote Originally Posted by mr.andaya View Post
    Ok guys I did a little testing, parallel port is reading 3.5 volts at pin 9 like it should. Cable is reading the same all the way..... Bob is showing 5v at 9 when jogged.... So now it looks like the dips on my driver are not set right correct?
    That sounds like a reasonable conclusion to me.

If pin 9 at the driver alternates between 0v and 5v when jogged in different directions, then it is likely that your Mach3 definitions, parallel port, parallel cable, and breakout board are working properly. It would take an oscilloscope or logic probe to also verify that the step signal was coming through OK, but it's reasonable at this point to guess that the step signal is good.

So, if you have set your common to +5v (and that is connected to Pul+ and Dir+) then it would be reasonable to take a second look at your driver's DIP switch settings now.

And we have motion!! I also changed the dips to on on on off off on on on as per a thread I read.

Thank you guys! Now I have to get it all togather and tune the motors.

Any one have a base line for nema23 570oz motors with 5056d's?

Again thanks guys
    -joe

Try starting off with a velocity around 80 and an accel in the 4-8 range. This will be fast if you are new. I was running up to about 300ipm during some testing but I wouldnt leave it that way. Just remember what ever the velocity is set to, that will be your rapid speed during the running of a gcode. Are you running Chai's screws or Rotons? What micrrostepping value did you set the drivers up with?

Page 1 of 2 12