586,359 active members*
3,564 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > What size breaker circuit do you have?

What size breaker circuit do you have?

I got a kl5020 power supply. It's 50v and 20amp. Plan on running the Porter cable 892 router. Should I put he router on a seperate circuit? I think it pulls 12 amps. How many amps will the computer, power supply, drives, and motors pull combined? I plan on running two 7amp motors and two 3.5amp motor with room to go larger on the smaller ones.

Run a 40 amp fusable disconnect and you should be fine. Why waste money on copper.

Quote Originally Posted by Hackberry jake View Post
    I got a kl5020 power supply. It's 50v and 20amp. Plan on running the Porter cable 892 router. Should I put he router on a seperate circuit? I think it pulls 12 amps. How many amps will the computer, power supply, drives, and motors pull combined? I plan on running two 7amp motors and two 3.5amp motor with room to go larger on the smaller ones.
    That depends on what the circuit is rated for. If like most newer homes/garages it might only have a 15 amp breaker on every outlet circuit. You can't just change out the breaker switch since the breaker is sized for the wire. If you put in a bigger breaker, you can burn down your building when the wiring overheats. If you only have 15 amp circuits, you might want to use a different circuit on the router just to be sure. You don't want the breaker kicking of in the middle of a job. Where it gets fun is figuring out what else is on each circuit that you want to use. You might discover that a microwave or toaster inside your kitchen is plugged into an outlet on the same circuit. In which case you've just defeated the purpose of using a different circuit altogether. Which you won't discover until someone runs one of them in the middle of your job.

That's why running a sub-panel just for your machine or shop area is always nice because you then have dedicated circuits. Most of us DIYer's do the best we can with what we've got, but if you have the means, go for it.

How many amps would the power supply pull at full load? I have single pole 120 and double pole 240 both available. I am guessing it would draw less amps on 240?

The supply is a 1Kva, so full load on 120v will draw 8.3A and on 240v = 4.16A
    If the secondary current is lower than 20A, the current will be proportionately less on the primary.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Al, you are the man, that's the exact info I was needing!

It would be considered very bad to run two branch circuits to a machine like this.

From the standpoint of safety is is considered extremely bad form to run multiple power feeders to a machine tool control cabinet. Total up all the potential loads and size a branch circuit for that. Ideally you want everything associated with the machine running off that circuit including the spindle motor, servo drives and coolant pumps (if used). Don't forget to factor in things like machine specific lighting, control circuit power and any other extras that may be in use.

So, how about a 220 25amp breaker (already have one), I could take the 220 inside the cabinet and split it into 110 and hook it up to the relay for the router/spindle right? I guess I also need to wire in inline fuses for certain aspects of the machine?

So, how about a 220 25amp breaker (already have one), I could take the 220 inside the cabinet and split it into 110 and hook it up to the relay for the router/spindle right? I guess I also need to wire in inline fuses for certain aspects of the machine?
    That is usually the way it is done in commercially supplied machinery.
    I usually bring the feed in after the disconnect to a bank of individual fuses for each supply.
    This way all the items that need to be under CNC control are in one place from fed from one source.
    Al.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Currently the National Elec. Code [for US] require a separate circuit breaker for a microwave in the kitchen. I do not recall how long that has been in force.

Usually, the circuits, for more modern house, will have the kitchen circuit breaker [usually 20 amps with 12-guage wire] and there will be a GFI outlet as part of those circuits, usually nearest to the circuit breaker. If there is a toilet room [half-bath so-called] adjacent to the kitchen, that will be on the kitchen circuit as well. The GFI outlet will then usually be in the half-bath. All this said, sometime the circuit breaker for this circuit will be a GFI breaker. All this depends on the age of the dwelling and the predilection of the building inspector.

On my small CNC, I run the router [DeWalt DPW611] on one circuit, and the computer [including lcd monitor] and power supply/controller on another.

I use a uninterpretable power supply [UPS] for the computer [including lcd monitor] and power/supply controller. I use a large UPS that has two batteries; not one gotten at office supply or big box stores. It is the type the is generally used with servers.

I am in a small industrial space in a new modern building in a new industrial park. I live in a condo, so have to have a remote "man cave" as my wife is of the opinion the garage is for her car, and the condo nazis rail about my using condo association electricity when I used the garage for even small projects, before I built the first CNC.

Life can be so trying!!