586,036 active members*
4,388 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Drills

Drills

Besides hand sharpening which i'm not too good at,what machine do you use to sharped your drills.Does anyone use the drill doctor to sharped your drills? If so, do you have more trouble with the drill doctor doing cobalt drills.I have a 500x which is getting a little worn out and am planning on getting the 750x.But i still have more problems getting the cobalt drills to sharpen as good as hss.Any one else have this problem.

I love my drill doctor, its the second cheapest one I think. No issues with cobalt, atleast not cheap cobalt bits.

I've always have had a heck of a time with Drill Doctors, at least the older models. I have no experience with the newer models.

This is actually a problem I need to resolve because my eye site isn't what it use to be thus sharpening drill bits by hand is not as easy as it use to be. In that regard I've taken an interest in the various approaches in the model engineering mags for a low cost solution. Reconsidering Drill Doctor is possible because I hear they are improved considerably.

My problem with my 500x is the really cheap 118 deg drills sharped good.The better grade drills i get and mainly the cobalt don't resharpen worth a darn.The drills actually won't drill in the cnc's,the machine will alarm out in z axis.I've seen drill sharpeners from $150 to $2000.I'm thinking of the 750x drill doctor and was hopeing to find someone with similer experence.

Drill Doctor for Cobalt

What part is getting worn out? If you haven't already, try a new diamond wheel.
    The Drill Doctors come with a 180 grit wheel but they offer a coarser 100 grit wheel that works better on the cobalt. I have a 500x and a 750x with both coarse and a fine grit wheels. I hand grind all my twist drills larger than 1/8 diameter, and any chipped ones that need a lot of material removed first. Then just touch up cutting lips with the finer Drill Doctor diamond wheel. I have no problem sharpening any of my cobalt drills with the Drill Doctor.

1. The directions are just a starting point. you must adjust the offset as the diameter changes.
    2. Make sure you are on the correct angle. Cobalt are usually 135 deg. vs. 118 deg for HSS.
    I use the DD75 for smaller (3/8") drills and hand grind larger drills. I use a magnifier to get a good look

dupe

dupe