586,103 active members*
3,667 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Rapid and feed rate overide

Hello. I have a question about a machine with a 21i-T. I had a 21-T that did what I want and I explain:

When running a program, both rapid feedrate or cutting feedrate could be overided by the same rotary button (with several positions). In fact also the jog feedrate could be set by the same button. This was perfect.

On this new machine, I have a button for overide the jog and a button that can only be set in three positions for the rapids: 0% 50% and 100%. 50% rapids will be 12m/min that are way to fast, and I would also do not want to lower the max rapid feedrate.

I would like to use only one button, that would be the feedrate button. I have no trouble in changing the ladder, but I ask for a recommendation as it could be a better way.
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by fomaz View Post
    Hello. I have a question about a machine with a 21i-T. I had a 21-T that did what I want and I explain:

When running a program, both rapid feedrate or cutting feedrate could be overided by the same rotary button (with several positions). In fact also the jog feedrate could be set by the same button. This was perfect.

On this new machine, I have a button for overide the jog and a button that can only be set in three positions for the rapids: 0% 50% and 100%. 50% rapids will be 12m/min that are way to fast, and I would also do not want to lower the max rapid feedrate.

I would like to use only one button, that would be the feedrate button. I have no trouble in changing the ladder, but I ask for a recommendation as it could be a better way.
    Thank you
    you don't need to change the ladder
    you just need a good electrician that can take the wires from the rapid feedrate switch and put on the jog feedrate switch so the feedrate jog switch will do the same jobs

That would be reasonable, but the rapids are 2 bits, that make 0 25 50 75 and 100%. The feedrate are more as I have more options, 0 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100.
    Using this aproach I would force that the feedrate 0-20 would correspond to the rapid 0; and so on...
    Maybe a better solution?

2 dials is usually normal and preferred. it depends on the manufacturer how it is implemented.
    you only need to lower the rapid when running a job the first time. the cutting feed should not need to be changed because compared to rapid it is very slow and manageable. if you want to use only 1 dial for total movement over-ride press 'Dry Run' button. this uses feed rate over-ride dial to control the speed of all axis movement.

Quote Originally Posted by fordav11 View Post
    2 dials is usually normal and preferred. it depends on the manufacturer how it is implemented.
    you only need to lower the rapid when running a job the first time. the cutting feed should not need to be changed because compared to rapid it is very slow and manageable. if you want to use only 1 dial for total movement over-ride press 'Dry Run' button. this uses feed rate over-ride dial to control the speed of all axis movement.
    In my work we can do 100 parts per day, all different. So it is a nice feature to be able to slow down, especially before the initial facing. Mastor FastSeal

That is exactly what 'Dry Run' is for......

I understand, but that depends how you may think what is better or what is appropriated.

For me would be much better/faster parts producing if the machine could work as I wanted. So my question would be: It is possible or not?
    Thanks

You say above you want to use the feedrate over-ride dial to control both feed & rapid together.
    This is achieved when Dry Run is on. Is that not the solution? So I don't see your problem? Or you need to explain more exactly what you need :-)

Well, then it is my ignorance that led me here.
    Until now all the machines that I worked on did not had two overrides, and I always worked like I described earlier.
    If dry run makes what I want then that would be perfect. I was trying before I am writing this and I believe that something is not set up as in dry mode all stays still and the controller it is in pause mode when a movement command is issued in a part file (all codes that are not movement related are read).
    There are common settings related with dry run that I should search for?
    Thank you again.

I managed to put dry run working as it was a keep relay that was preventing it from work.
    A part files runs, but still my initial "need" is not covered, this is the rapids are still rapids in the dry run mode and are not overide by the feedrate button.

I also tested all the related parameters, including this one:

RDR Dry run for rapid traverse command
    0 : Disabled
    1 : Enabled

When I saw it: This is the one! but no...

hmmm, I think there are more parameters for dry run configuration. or possibly PMC parameters.
    dry run should normally control both rapid and feed. but it can work differently depending on how the manufacturer implemented it.
    look at parameter 8001

No success either tested RDE=1 and 0 on the 8001. Probably a combination of several parameters. Maybe my best try is to get them from a working set, so that I could understand if it is a parameter issue or not.

So, I would ask for someone inform the parameters:

The controller is a 21i-T. I think would also be valid for a 21-T.
    Thank you

my 21i-T has.....

1401 00010001
    1410 500
    1420 18000/24000 (X Servo/Z Servo)
    8001 00100101
    8002 00000000
    8005 00000001

Thank you. I will try that and I will post the result.

I have tested with those parameters and still nothing... I even took a good look on the ladder and I can confirm that the machine starts in DRY RUN mode as there is a signal that in the coil comment specifically says "Cycle start in dry run". I will quit for now about this issue and see if I can get used to it.
    I wish Merry Christmas to everyone on this forum.

Re: Rapid and feed rate overide

for those who wants to have RAPID control using a switch, instead 4 buttons, sort of MAZAK and DMG have. Control 31i-B as an example., U need to use G96.7 bit to activate it and attach ( through Custom PLC ) you switch to G96.0- G96.6 bits to control it. Here is example for RoboDRILL machine with 31iB control. In starts from the line N22. Also, one KEEP relay bit needs to be inserted into Fanuc PLC to disable G96.7 control. Line N34 is where Fanuc PLC is disabling G96.7 control for TOOL CHANGE M06 function.