586,103 active members*
3,404 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 3 123
    Here are some photos of mine. Note that there are no internal photos because it's a rat's nest in there!

In addition to the On-Off switch and E-Stop, I've also put in a switch to turn my vacuum on (even when the controller is turned off) so I can use the vacuum for shop cleanup. The other settings for the vacuum are "off" and "auto" (where it is under Mach3 control).

I also have a momentary "limits override" switch that I can use to move the machine when a limit switch is activated. Haven't used this in many months but it was helpful when I was getting the machine set up.

There are three displays to view the current used by the system, the spindle, and the vacuum. Not really necessary but the numbers are cool and could be an indicator of a malfunction.

The final indicator is a resettable hour meter for my spindle (so I have an idea of when to inspect/change the brushes of my Kress spindle).

edit: for thermal control, my control box is made mostly of aluminum so it radiates heat fairly well, I also have two fans that blow air INTO the box through small filters. The air inlets are positioned inside my router enclosure which also reduces dust. The inside of the control box is essentially dust free.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 120615-1.jpg   120615-2.jpg   120527-5.jpg   120527-2.jpg  

120527-6.jpg  

Have another control box mounted outside my enclosure to start, pause, and stop g-code executed by Mach3. (These photos were taken before I built my current control box and set up a vacuum outlet on the front of my enclosure.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 110726-1.jpg   110726-2.jpg  

Here's a link to an amazing contol box!: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/1194758-post194.html

Thanks to everyone

Thank you everyone for contributing to this thread. It has been a big help to me and hopefully to others.

I've gutted the pc enclosure that I plan on using.

Rick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails empty enclosure.JPG  

I built this for the 2012 DC Science and Engineering fair. It worked so well I use a variation on all my machines.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6mszkT711c]CNC PC and controller case - YouTube[/ame]
    Author of: The KRMx01 CNC Books, The KRMx02 CNC Books, The KRmc01 CNC Milling Machine Books, and Building the HANS Electric Gear Clock. All available at www.kronosrobotics.com

Oh well, here is another one...

That is the new control box of my "Big Bamboo" machine. The back plate is a solid 1/4" thick aluminum sheet that serves as heat sink for the geckos and the solid state relay as well. Sides and part of the front are 3/8" Garolite and the rest of the front is Plexiglass to see the status LED of the Geckos and the Planet-CNC controller. It also houses a Keling 72V/20 amps PS and a Hitachi X200 VFD. A computer fan blows filtered air into this enclosure.

The 3 instruments are for spindle current, temperature (not yet connected) and vacuum (for the future vacuum hold-down). All instruments can trigger the emergency stop if so programmed. Before you ask, the company I work for makes the instruments and they are normally for water distribution equipment and rather expensive.

The control computer is a separate small net book on a swiveling wall mount bracket.

Fusing

So I started to wonder if it would be a good idea to put some fuses in there also.

Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RicknBeachcrest View Post
    So I started to wonder if it would be a good idea to put some fuses in there also.

Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Rick
    To follow good practice.
    All power supplies should be individually fused inside the enclosure.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    To follow good practice.
    All power supplies should be individually fused inside the enclosure.
    Al.
    Please excuse my ignorance, but should the input power be fused or the output, or both?

I know enough about electronics to be dangerous.

Thanks.

Rick

The input for sure.
    The output side of power supplies is optional to a point, any fault causing over current is normally reflected back to the input side, or the device may have current fold back or limiting.
    So it is at the discretion of the MTB based on the individual item.
    Al.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by RicknBeachcrest View Post
    Please excuse my ignorance, but should the input power be fused or the output, or both?

I know enough about electronics to be dangerous.

Thanks.

Rick
    Both sides of a power supply since input side protect the over all system. On the output side to protect the drivers/ motors. I personally would do each driver/ motor separate.

Progress is happening on my enclosure. I took Gerry's idea using an automotive air filter and modified it slightly. Here is my take on it. I posted pictures on my build thread.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnc_wo...ter_build.html

Building this enclosure is almost as hard as the machine itself.

Rick

I found a cool phone box to use as my enclosure. I don't have a current picture, but here is a video of it before I finished all the cabling.

Here are a few pics of my recently completed controller.

The case is an old computer case that I picked up at an electronics junk shop. I took an angle grinder to it and removed the front and rear panels, as well as making some octagonal cut-outs for the cross-flow fans. I made new front and rear panels from some 16ga aluminium and pop riveted them on.

There is a 48v power supply for the Leadshine DM856 drivers and a 5v supply for the C10 BOB.

Dave.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WP_001284.jpg   WP_001287.jpg   WP_001291.jpg  

All very nice guys. I have been thinking about shrinking my enclosure for a few months now. This is giving me a few ideas to try. Below is what I'm starting with, it's a pretty big mess. The computer is still outside the cabinet, so I'm thinking a 2U rackmount cast to hold the computer and drive. Maybe a smaller power supply, the one that's in it is overkill for the machine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cnc machine 3 006.jpg   cnc machine 007.jpg  

Simple acrylic box these are the pictures when I was building it. The Gecko fits nicely into the provided space and the inputs are all attached via the RCA jacks (stops and probe). Dual 48v 120mm fans keep it cool, the box is mounted under the table. As to dust buildup I actually took it apart the other day to wire an extra input (zero tool) and found that it was dust free. My only guess is that under the table is some type of dust twilight zone.

Here is mine! Rest of electronics are in a computer case under the router.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ImageUploadedByTapatalk1324321318.378289.jpg   ImageUploadedByTapatalk1324321376.727921.jpg  

Here is a picture of my enclosure with the wiring almost finished. All that is left is the fans that will blow on the Gecko G540. And a little more to the SPID.

But it is enough to calibrate the router anyway.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dscn0407.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Ed3XP View Post
    Are those joysticks analog? ...in that they also vary speed depending on amount of throw?

I like your control panel!

...and that keyboard..Are they still available someplace?
    Shoptask rebuild:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2139
    Home built gantry router:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5049

Quote Originally Posted by Ed3XP View Post
    Imo, your setup is probably the best I've seen. Very nice job on that! I would like to know more about specific parts used to make that (if you don't mind of course).

Page 2 of 3 123