586,094 active members*
3,801 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Question G54 problem with mill

Fanuc 15ma mill control problem

I'm new to G code & need help with G54 . Every time i enter G54 in program
    ,then hit enter table takes off for limits ? If I'm in middle of table and set
    G54 to numbers where i'm "at" in offsets . When used in program on first line it
    always takes off ! If i enter 00 's in it(G54) runs program from position i'm at
    & returns ok . Could my parameters be messed up ( had somebody just enter
    them manually ) or i'm i doing something wrong ??

Have no clue what you just tried to describe.

Ok sorry if misunderstood .

If i enter table x y z coordinates into "G54 work zero offset screen " .
    Then when i call G54 in a program it will not start there where set .
    Table just runs to limit switch on x & Y opposite of Home as soon button
    is pushed .Then errors on table travel overlimit . Should not table go to coordinates entered into work zero offset screen under G54 to start .

Is machine home at the upper right? If so G54 (and 55 thru 59) offset coordinates need to be minus numbers. Also the program line should be something like:
    G54 G0 X0 Y0

Yes upper right .I have to home each by them self . z + x - Y + . Its funny
    that i have to home x - instead of + . But it homes to 00 on all xyz .
    Could some thing be wired wrong ? They were all plug in connectors when
    assembled . It will not home to x+ (tried & no go ) .This mill had lost
    all parameters after sitting for many years . x- makes it go right to home .

Quote Originally Posted by edslim View Post
    Ok sorry if misunderstood .

If i enter table x y z coordinates into "G54 work zero offset screen " .
    Then when i call G54 in a program it will not start there where set .
    Table just runs to limit switch on x & Y opposite of Home as soon button
    is pushed .Then errors on table travel overlimit . Should not table go to coordinates entered into work zero offset screen under G54 to start .
    If you were to position the spindle where X0.0 Y0.0 of the workpiece is, the values entered in the G54 Work Shift register would be the coordinates displayed in the Machine Position Display for X and Y; including the numeric sign. That is, if the Machine Position Display was X-250.123 Y-180.456 when the spindle is at the Workpiece X0.0 Y0.0, then -250.123 and -180.456 would be registered for X and Y respectively in the G54 Work Shift registry.

If you are doing as in the above and the slides are going in the wrong direction when G54 is applied, there is a parameter that can be set to apply the Work Shift values in reverse to how they are set in the Work Shift registry, or you can just reverse the sign in the errant Work Shift axis registry. I won't be back to my office until after the new year, so I can't look this up, but you should find it in your own Fanuc manual if you still have it.

Regard,

Bill

To set the workshift in the program a single line with G54 is sufficient. The actual numbers are read from the workshift offset page.
    If you have the Auto-Measure function (and/or geometry offsets) you can make the machine do the calculating work.
    Position the spindle at X0 Y0 then on the G54 offset page in X type X0 then press [MEASURE]. Do the same for Y. The values will be entered for you without any brain work.
    Otherwise if you don't have that, position the spindle at the X0 Y0 on your job then on your POS page zero the X and Y readout manually. Zero return the machine. You then manually type the displayed X Y positions into the G54 X Y
    You may need to reverse the sign of the numbers depending on how your machine is configured by the manufacturer.

Quote Originally Posted by fordav11 View Post
    Otherwise if you don't have that, position the spindle at the X0 Y0 on your job then on your POS page zero the X and Y readout manually. Zero return the machine. You then manually type the displayed X Y positions into the G54 X Y
    You may need to reverse the sign of the numbers depending on how your machine is configured by the manufacturer.
    There's no need to set X,Y Pos to zero and perform a Reference Return, just use the Machine Position X,Y coordinates when the spindle is at the workpiece X,Y Zero. The sign of the displayed coordinate should also be correct. Depending on parameter setting, the Relative Position Display can preset to the same value as the absolute position display when manual reference position return is performed, thus rendering it useless for the purpose of obtaining work shift values.

There are several methods and they all work. So what?

I'm trying to make it as simple as possible not write a book.
    Anyway this is basic basic stuff that any CNC operator should be able to figure out by himself.

My method works. I'm trying to make it as simple as possible not writing a book.
    Well simple would be just reading the Machine Position Coordinates and not have to bother with the other steps. The actual display of the Relative Position can be effected by parameter setting; the Machine Coordinate is more reliable.

you're a funny guy. instead of nitpicking something that has been solved you may want to consider using your free time to help some others with more important issues :wave:

you're a funny guy. instead of nitpicking something that has been solved you may want to consider using your free time to help some others with more important issues :wave:
    Its not nitpicking, a fact is merely being pointed out. A simple resolve was given in Post #6, all you've done is complicated the matter for the OP with a method that can give erroneous results; fact.

Ok Thanks guys .Have A Merry Christmas & New Year !!!

Its nice to have help !!!!!

Still scratching my head ! For the life of me i don't understand what was
    going on with g54 command . Was it as simple turning memory key ???
    Or did it just start working right way . Data entered stayed in g54 with out
    turning key ??

When you enter program in edit it tells you lock protected ! Does this key
    need to be off also to set offsets . btw I had 2 lead machinists from different shop in here at different times .They left saying they would have to read up on 15ma !
    This is all new to me ! I've been a engine rebuilder machinist for last 30 years
    (no cnc ) .
    Just got a new laptop with windows 8 . Having same problem . All books etc
    assume you know something about it already & did you ever try read & understand a fanuc book "wow ".

There are ways to lock programs and other important items in the control to prevent incompetents screwing things up. There are parameter settings to control the extent of these various safe guards.

Spoke too soon ! Still doesn't seem right . Where do i go in Western Pa for help ?

Spoke too soon ! Still doesn't seem right . Where do i go in Western Pa for help ?
    Post a listing of a short program showing how you're executing the G54 Work Shift.

List your step by step procedure for entering the values in the G54 Work Shift.

When you perform a Reference Return, what values are displayed for the Machine Position Display?

Regards,

Bill

Homed xyz
    set table to middle x47.y-15 z-21
    goto "work zero page" G54 enter x47 y-15 z-21 , input
    goto " memo select" program 00100

run program 00100
    G90 S200 G54 M03
    G76 X0Y0Z-6. R1. Q.5 F50. G99
    X1 Y0
    X2 YO
    X3 YO
    X4 Y0
    X5 Y0
    X6 Y0
    G80 Z4. M05
    G00 Z0 Y0 Z0
    G28 M30

Went to limit stops & errored on as soon as program run .

Ok ,Then turned off power & back on ,rehomed , then it worked
    when i ran program & it returned to G54 00

Tried changing work offsets many times & it worked back to zero of the changed work offsets when program run every time (with out rehoming ).

Is it that i have to home after first time power up & after entering work off sets on power up ? I have no auto return to home button on panel .

What do i do to use more than one work position G54 / G59

I'll stick with one for a bit !!

Been one heck of project putting together .

Homed xyz
    set table to middle x47.y-15 z-21
    goto "work zero page" G54 enter x47 y-15 z-21 , input
    goto " memo select" program 00100

From which Position Display are you taking the coordinates? Relative, Absolute, or Machine?

G54

Hello,

You forgot to select at least one tool so your program will not start correctly.
    Try the next program to test.
    Or try to change + or - in your G54 XYZ OFFSET value's.
    Be sure that there no XYZ value's in the EXT WORK-OFFSET.
    In line X2 YO and X3 YO you have to use a 0 (zero) no O, but I think you typed it wrong.
    Are you sure that G99 is correct. Fanuc uses most of the time G94 for i/min or mm/min and G95 for rev/min.

%
    O100( TEST )
    G54 G17 G40 G80 G94
    M6 T1 ( or T1 M6 )
    S1250 M3
    G00 G90 G43 X0 Y0 Z20 H1

G76 X0 Y0 Z-6. R1. Q.5 F50.
    ( OR TRY G73 R1. Z-6. Q.5 F50 )
    X1 Y0
    X2 Y0
    X3 Y0
    X4 Y0
    X5 Y0
    X6 Y0
    G00 G80 Z4. M9
    G00 G28 G91 Y0 Z0 M5
    M30
    %

Heavy_Metal
    The Netherlands.

I home it upon start up .Then run table to middle .I put "machine" coordinates into " work zero" G54 slots I found if I rehome after entering
    G54 in work zero ,it seems to work . If I do this one time first ,you can then change "work G54" to other coordinates & it uses them correctly . I tried it repeatedly.
    Is this normal to return to zero after setting G54 in work offsets after power up this way .

Seems like i'm doing something wrong doing it this way ,but it seems work.
    Its a bit of wasted time returning to zero on a big mill.

I will try entering a tool next time & was using G99 for return to plane I think . Do most people leave mill controllers power up all time ?

Page 1 of 2 12