586,103 active members*
3,822 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Stepper Blues

I recently obtained some steepers and a full axis setup with controllers that was going to be trashed. I would like to put these to use but am a little stumped on how to control them. The motors are a nema 23 style made by American Precision....
    Model M232-09
    1.7vdc
    4.7amps
    5 wire

The controllers are LN2 series made by Precision Controls. They have a parallel port for input as follows.
    1 STEP+
    14 STEP-
    2 DIRECTION +
    15 DIRECTION -
    16 SHUTDOWN +
    17 SHUTDOWN -
    9 FAULT +
    21 FAULT -
    11 RXD
    24 TXD
    12 RS232

What can I use to drive these?
    With the software I have seen I havent seen a way to drive these. I would like to keep these boards as the built in power supplies are pretty beefy and they run off 120v. Thanks

After doing more research It seems I may need an indexer with sourcing outputs (com dir step) or differential outputs ( step- step+ dir- dir+) can anyone explain what this is and a brief explaination of how it works.

I see no reason why you can't just drive the step/dir from the parallel port of a PC, unless it need a high voltage. The minus inputs can just be tied together and connected to a ground pin.

Mach2 is a good program to use if you're running windows.

confused even more

well i went back to the lab to see if there was anything left over from this machine. Theres a 3 axis setup with tk rails and nema 23 motors the manager is going to see if I can have them. Chances are they are thorwing them out...He did give me some cables. The cable was fat with a weird unknown connector on 1 end and 3 parallel connectors on the other. the parallel connectors go into the driver boards. The connectors had 6 wires per driver board. the + positives are all connected together with jumper wires and the other 3 i assume are for dir - step - and shutdown - so the hunt contunues on how to drive it. I'll have to research the jumpers more and see if it can be changed