586,108 active members*
3,072 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Making Propellers

I want to cut out some props on my CNC.

The whole 3D seems very complicated and I cant get any real info on how to do despite spending a Sunday on the PC looking.

In the past someone on here (I think) posted details of making propellers by using a series of cut laminations.

i.e. The prop was made up of 5 or six blanks that progressively got smaller and changed in profile to the top one. These then are glued together and you then simply carve off the corners and sand etc to shape.

Anyone know of anymore details of this process?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails laminated prop.jpg  

Are we discussing people carrying airplane propellers?

Dick Z
    DZASTR

I haven't seen anyone do this, however, you might want to look at the 3D printer forum and the software they use to create slices of a 3D model (slic3r). See also http://reprap.org/wiki/RepRap_Options. It creates layers that can be processed individually. These layers are then made into gcode for the printer.

The concept here would be to get a 3D propeller drawing and slice it into the layers needed, and then import the results into a tool for examining the layers like NCPlot. It can import DXF. You would then make gcode for each layer to be cut and put the code to your cnc machine.

There are other tools for 3D that are related more to CNC machining. However, the vast majority of 3D printing software tools are free and open source.

This could also be useful in making windmill turbines.

Ripper.

Thanks will have a look, it seems to be a great way of producing a propellor without the complicated 3D plotting

Did you ever get any additional feedback?

For a small single seat VW powered airplane such as a Legal XL or the Sonex Onex, does seem reasonable. Experimental aviation folks have long since built their own propeller.

A Wood Propellor For Your Homebuilt?

There is a book that I keep meaning to buy:

Propeller Making for the Amateur Book, eBook, Eric Clutton, Builders Bookstore, Aircaft Builders Books and Video Resources

Carving your own prop article:
    Fix Your Posa Carb

Math on the curve:
    Prop-calc The fundamentals of making propellers

Trying to remember the web site of an experimental building who had written articles for years, and had a decent write up on making your own propeller. Sadly he passed away from cancer, but his wife left his web site up as he had some great information.

Tom
    (I'm building a four seater, high wing, 2500# gross weight.... 20 year project at current rate!)