586,115 active members*
3,350 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

New Build 4X4 plasma

Hello everyone,
    Well finally got everything together (no plasma cutter yet) Have been working with the Mach3 and sheetcam trying to understand exactly how everything sets up. I am having problems when I import a DXF file into sheetcam and after I use the post processor. Up to that point I can get that done but when I pull it up in mach3 it is there but when I try to run it the machine just heads for a limit switch and of course stops. I am not understanding the table setup I guess. I have read everywhere I think I might find something about table setup but have had zero luck in setting the part up so that it is within the softlimits. I know this is probably very simple so most of you but I am learning as I go. I have built a 4X4 table with XYZ and A (slaved) axis with nema 23 300 oz. steppers running a G540 controller with mach3 software. Any guidance or point in the right direction to where I go now please feel free. I did find one DXF file in the gcode files that comes with mach3 that runs but the rest do as described above. I know that I haven't set up something correctly but not sure what. I am using the plasma XML furnished by gecko drives. It may be in my motor tuning and the motors are not stepping the correct distance per inch. I better shut up before you see just how unlearned I really am. But I am willing to listen and learn.
    Thanks in advance
    Bill

Hi Bill, I am not quite sure about your problem. You set up everything in Sheetcam and use the post processor. Which post processor do you use?

Then when starting the cut in Mach it's lowering the Z-Axis. Do you have a floating z-axis meaning does it trigger a microswitch in your z-axis?

These answers might help you solve your problem..

Maybe try some really simple commands in the MDI window. Just move jog the torch to the center of the table and zero it. Then just do a g1 f30 x1 y1 or something really simple to make sure the steps per inch are set correctly.

In sheetcam perhaps you set the units set to metric or something. Then 10" would be 254mm. If sheet cam is outputting 254 and Mach3 is set to inches, it'll head towards the limit switches. Or perhaps your dxf file has a border around it or something that sheetcam is trying to cut. Good Luck.

Jordan

OK, I believe that I have the motors setup but now am trying to get the acelleration set correctly. Have tried multiple settings and have had pretty good response. The problem I am having is I am getting a small amount of what I call chatter mostly in the X axis, this is my X and A that are slaved together. Not quite as smooth as I believe they should be. Anyone know any tricks in setting the accel. The mach3 manual says this is set mostly by hearing so it is kind of tricky.
    Thanks in advance
    Bill