586,075 active members*
4,127 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

KRMx01 Build Log

This is a build log moved from the original KRMx01 forums.
    This was a KRMx01 build by Michael Chase (306CaseManolins)

Hello fellow CNCers

Michael Case here, I am starting a build log of the KRMx01 cnc machine. A week ago I purchased formica in matt black finish. The weekend of 10/29/2011, I assemble the rousseau work bench system along with the laminated top and shelves. Here is a photo of my progress.

Author of: The KRMx01 CNC Books, The KRMx02 CNC Books, The KRmc01 CNC Milling Machine Books, and Building the HANS Electric Gear Clock. All available at www.kronosrobotics.com

Mike has posted some more photos of his progress.

From Mike:
    On the rails, I set my calipers to .500 and scribed a line down the whole length of the aluminum bar. As for the hole placements, I used the measurements provided for the aluminum angle in the KRMx01 CNC book. I center punched these locations, used a 1/8 " drill bit to make the pilot holes, and then I used a 9/32 drill bit to make the holes to the correct size. I then used a counter bore and went to a depth of .346 thousandths. I used 1/4-20 x 3/8 socket head cap screws to mount the rail to the 80/20. I milled a channel out for the hardened v rail in the aluminum bar. I used a #25 drill bit to drill through the hardened v rail and the aluminum bar. I used #6-32 machine screws to attach the rail to the bar. I do have a question though. On the x and z carriage updates, another 13/64 hole was added on both carriages, should these be tapped as well?
    Author of: The KRMx01 CNC Books, The KRMx02 CNC Books, The KRmc01 CNC Milling Machine Books, and Building the HANS Electric Gear Clock. All available at www.kronosrobotics.com

Michael Case here, I have added the x carriage and z beam to the KRMx01 CNC Router.

Michael Case here, I received the z plate today (03/19/2012) and I am very pleased with it. I hope to get the z carriage built and installed this weekend. Soon I will order the templates for the bearing blocks. That is it for now.

Thanks and Happy CNCing
    Michael Case

Mike, the aluminum bar that you are using to hold the rail in place, it looks like it has a small groove cut into it. What is the purpose of this groove?

Michael Case here, as more and more the machine is used, I feel over time that the rail and the screws that hold the rail in place may wear out over time and the weight of the gantry might weaken the rail if it was just attached to the side. So therefore, I milled a channel in the aluminum bar so the rail would have a shelf to rest on as well. It is just extra stability for the rail. On some of these other forums, people are doing this as well.

Thanks and Happy CNCing,
    Michael Case

How did you groove the bar? That may be the reason you had a little inconsistancy in the rail. Also from what i saw. The hardened rail had a small overhang that would allow it to rest on the bar.

Michael Here, By using a pair of calipers, I measured the rails thickness, and the height was measured from underneath the lip of the rail to the bottom of the rail. I then set the aluminum bar in a vice on a manual mill. I set the depth to the thickness of the rail plus .002 thousandths more. I set the width to the height of the rail under the lip of the rail to the bottom of the rail plus .002 thousandths more. I used a end mill to cut the channel. I could only travel about 8 inches at a time due to the chattering of the bar caused by a lack of support, so I would take the aluminum bar out of the vice and reposition the bar in the vice. I kept repeating this process down the desired length of the bar.

Thanks and Happy CNCing,
    Michael Case

Michael case here, I have added pictures of the z carriage. Thanks for looking.

Michael Case here, I am getting very close to the electronics and motor stage. I have been contemplating on the type of controller to build. Some people on other forums are building very elaborate controllers that cost about $1500.00. I might build the controller that you have built for its simplicity. I have two questions. First would there be any reason I should build a very elaborate controller? Second, if I go with your controller, will you be selling the controller case and instructions that you have built in one of your videos?

Thanks and Happy CNCing
    Michael Case

The only reason to use individual controllers would be if you wanted to use larger steppers. The G540 is the best match for the steppers I recommend.

There are advantages to building a common case to hold both the controller and the PC. Less cables for one. On the other hand there are a couple disadvantages. You need better cooling and access can be tricky.

One option would be to purchase a large PC tower that has room to house the both the PC and controller/PS.

Michael Case here, here are some more pictures of my progress. It is getting very close to completion.

This is a great build, what the current status?
    Deeds not words...
    VoltsAndBolts runs RC for the builder. http://www.voltsandboltsonline.com/ My Forum

Mike does not post on this forum, but the last I heard he was up and running.

The images on this build are just outstanding! Thanks for reposting them here.
    Those steel V rails are a way I would like to go. Nice to see how they were done.

--Rich Farwell