586,072 active members*
4,733 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Recommend a good mist system!

Recommend a good mist system!

I am thinking of going with mist lubrication while I plan out my flood setup but I can't find any vendors online let alone any reviews or recommendations.

What do you guys use for a system?

The only mist system worth using is the FogBuster. You can easily make your own for next to nothing. If you do a search, you'll find a number of threads describing how.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Just to clarify, the fogbuster is not a mister, as a mister can create a "fog" in the shop. The fogbuster is actually more of a targeted low volume "spray" of coolant that doesn't mess up the air in your shop.

I have two units, one for my lathe, one for my mill. I won't even consider flood coolant after the great luck I've had with the fogbuster.

Wade

I've been using the KoolMist system and have had no fog issues. I adjust the spray to just enough to get the tool wet and and then just a tad more. If there is a visible fog blasting out you are setting it way too heavy. I do run it heavy with hogging cuts. I'd like a fog buster arrangement for the lower air volume needed to run it.
    CNC: Making incorrect parts and breaking stuff, faster and with greater precision.

I built a fogbuster clone and it was pretty nice.

I will probably even skip the flood and stay with mist. The main drawback is that the blast is very narrow so you need to reposition or run several nozzles for tool changes.

Quote Originally Posted by photomankc View Post
    I've been using the KoolMist system and have had no fog issues. I adjust the spray to just enough to get the tool wet and and then just a tad more. If there is a visible fog blasting out you are setting it way too heavy. I do run it heavy with hogging cuts. I'd like a fog buster arrangement for the lower air volume needed to run it.

This. I use a Trico spray mister. eny spray mister can be adjusted to work just like the fog buster or micro drop system. I run 15psi to the unit open the air valve a little the crack the coolant valve just till the timp drops no mist at all and work stays cool
    G0704, Craftsman 101.07403.4x6

You can buy the Fogbuster setup from Tormach, they stock it with the solenoid valve ready to hook up to the control system. That's what I did, I don't have time to build everything on my machine anymore.
    PM-45 CNC conversion built/run/sold.

I actually have 2 fogbusters, 1 was setup on my old Syil America SX3 and had a 12V air switch that turned on with Mach3. I just wired up the old 12v power supply from the PDB that I removed after I installed the ATC to the air switch and plugged it into the coolant outlet on the tormach.

Works for me!

Wade

Quote Originally Posted by kd4gij View Post
    This. I use a Trico spray mister. eny spray mister can be adjusted to work just like the fog buster or micro drop system. I run 15psi to the unit open the air valve a little the crack the coolant valve just till the timp drops no mist at all and work stays cool
    The major advantage of the FogBuster is that the coolant is provided to the nozzle under pressure, rather than being siphoned, as in most other mist systems. That makes for a MUCH more reliable flow, and no sensitivity to the relative heights of the reservoir and nozzle. I've tried several of the siphon-fed misters, and they were pretty useless - required frequent adjustment to keep proper flow. The FogBuster, once setup, will run for hours untouched.

Also, the nozzle design on the FogBuster provides a MUCH more directed flow of air, which does a MUCH better job of clearing chips, with lower air-flow.

I understand the oil micro-drop systems also work very well, though they are rather pricey (or were, last time I looked, several years ago).

Something else to keep in mind - on small machines, coolant is not necessarily needed. Many people use coolant to compensate for incorrect feeds/speeds. If you get the feeds and speeds right, there is much less need for coolant, and a simple air blast to clear chips is all that's needed. All but the largest benchtop machines fall into this category.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Hear that HimyKabibble! BTW, Nice ATC thread and nice design.

When I setup my machine, I set it to spray a VERY fine mist of coolant. If it puddles during a part run, I consider the flow to be too much and turn it down. I don't use much coolant at all, just enough to lubricate the part slightly. Using this method, I get about 16-20 hours of use out of a full 1/2 gallon fogbuster.

Wade

Quote Originally Posted by wwendorf View Post
    Hear that HimyKabibble! BTW, Nice ATC thread and nice design.

When I setup my machine, I set it to spray a VERY fine mist of coolant. If it puddles during a part run, I consider the flow to be too much and turn it down. I don't use much coolant at all, just enough to lubricate the part slightly. Using this method, I get about 16-20 hours of use out of a full 1/2 gallon fogbuster.

Wade
    That sounds exactly right. You should see nothing more than fine droplets skittering away from the target area. If you get pooling, you're wasting coolant.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Sounds like I need to go with the Fogbuster then, takes all the guesswork out of it.

Thanks for the help.

Good luck and enjoy.

Wade