586,108 active members*
3,112 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: DRAWING HELP

DRAWING HELP

Hi there. im attempting to draw a circle that has two cut outs at 90 and 180 degrees to the center. i have drawn a 14.555 circle with two 1.38 circles at y8.465 and y-8.465. i then drew two lines at x-.69 and x.69. i then can connect one of the 1.38 circles with the straight lines and get them to connect with the 14.555 circle so that i can mill out this feature. when i attempt to do the same thing to the other side i cant get rid of the line in between the straight lines of the 14.555 circle. ill try and attach the file because this explanation probably is a wee bit confusing. im using gibbs 9 so if anyone can help can you please send file back as version 9 so i can open it.

thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

Delete the point joining the large dia circle to the radius in the lower right corner

Join the circle to the left side of both the top and bottom small circle with lines.

You should now have a large letter C with some of the little ears connected.

Click the large dia circle which is now a half circle, copy it, paste it and it becomes a large full circle again, join it to the right side of both the top and bottom

-Jacob

thanks jacob. took me a couple tries but i finally got it. bit of an awkward way to do it. i come from mastercam and gibbs is sure different to draw with.

Gibbs is one of the worst programs for CAD that I have ever seen. I usually draw in another program and then save as DXF then open in Gibbs. Much faster.

I tried importing a dxf file a while back but it didn't work for me. i am not a computer guy and am not 100% sure what i should be asking our engineers here for. i believe that what they did was save a pdf file as a dxf file and sent that to me. i opened it and just got our shops working drawing. or maybe its the way i opened it that made it?? is there something i need to do before i bring it in to gibbs?? ive attached the file that they sent me. if you have time to look at it and enlighten me that would be great...

What you attached was a short cut to your file, not the actual file. Not sure if I got your description right. This was saved with AutoCad R14 DXF format, then opened in Gibbs 7 and saved as VNC.

I've left for the shop for the day. Ill try to send a copy of the file on Sunday.

Thanks

that work??

I took your DXF file and opened with Gibbs 7 (2004). The steps shown to open are pictured. Then turn layers on and off as needed. Then I saved the results in a VNC file that you should be able to open directly in your Gibbs. Now you can turn layers on and off, make new layers, copy geometry to new layers, add new geometry as needed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1-open dxf.jpg   2-open dxf.jpg   3-open dxf.jpg   4-open dxf.jpg  

5-open dxf.jpg   6-open dxf.jpg