586,102 active members*
2,485 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Importing PCNC 1100 to UK

This is my first post, I have been reading this forum for sometime and have decided that PCNC1100 is the machine for me, I am a hobbiest building live steam locos. However I am in the UK.

So calling all you UK Tormach users how easy was it to import you machine? Is there anything you would have done differently, eg order more at once? Which frieght forwarding company did you use and can recommend?

Thanks Martyn

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/tormac...ormach_uk.html

google tormach import uk and you will find other comments.

Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by davebaldwin View Post
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/tormac...ormach_uk.html

google tormach import uk and you will find other comments.

Dave.
    Thanks the info is very useful

Martyn

Wow ! 5 1/2 yrs ago & I still haven't got my hands on one :-(

This year is looking good tho', I need to insulate & heat the workshop & save another £3k'ish to reach my target.

What part of UK are you?

I'm gobsmacked that someone hasn't taken on a dealership/franchise for the UK, there must be a massive untapped demand in education, serious hobby & light industrial.

Huddersfield in West Yorkshire, with everything you read about them it must be worth someone setting up shop in the UK

Martyn

Hi Martyn

I am not far from you - Bakewell - I also plan to build a live steam loco
    Got lots of details on importing it etc
    if you want info drop me a line - or even come down to see it if you fancy a day out.
    Drop me a private email if you want and I will send you my details
    [email protected]

Can't say I have made many parts yet - very much a noob at machining but can work the computer - that's my day job

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by peterfcooper View Post
    Hi Martyn

I am not far from you - Bakewell - I also plan to build a live steam loco
    Got lots of details on importing it etc
    if you want info drop me a line - or even come down to see it if you fancy a day out.
    Drop me a private email if you want and I will send you my details
    [email protected]

Can't say I have made many parts yet - very much a noob at machining but can work the computer - that's my day job

Peter
    <waves>

If Martyn's up for it, I'd very much like to see one in the flesh.

Can you give us a rough figure on what you spent getting it over here? Not the physical machine itself, but the shipping costs?

Hi Guys

Shipping cost me just under £1,000 - this was 12 months ago. But it will depend on what you actually order - the weight of it.
    Also the $/£ exchange rate as the sea freight charges are in $.
    Then there is the VAT and Duty
    Got all the details - more than happy to share.

I was having kittens (as you can imagine) but it was super smooth - I have had more problems ordering wood from BandQ

As I said drop me a line if you want to see the beastie

Peter

First post for me too I registered mainly to pick peoples brains on Sprutcam, as I seem to spend more time creating the Gcode than milling stuff. I was lucky enough to buy the machine second hand in the UK. I know of a couple of other users but it would be interesting to know just how many machines are kicking about as there’s always strength in numbers.

I am delighted with the machine which is only limited by your imagination of what’s possible to make. Although what I did not appreciate is just how long things take to machine. I am also on the live steam game. Having imported a number of items from the US my advice would be have a tidy cushion for the import duty and VAT somewhere around 25-30% I would say.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by 25ncjimmy View Post
    First post for me too I registered mainly to pick peoples brains on Sprutcam, as I seem to spend more time creating the Gcode than milling stuff. I was lucky enough to buy the machine second hand in the UK. I know of a couple of other users but it would be interesting to know just how many machines are kicking about as there’s always strength in numbers.

I am delighted with the machine which is only limited by your imagination of what’s possible to make. Although what I did not appreciate is just how long things take to machine. I am also on the live steam game. Having imported a number of items from the US my advice would be have a tidy cushion for the import duty and VAT somewhere around 25-30% I would say.

Jim
    Jim so far it is very interesting as for what we do they seem to be the perfect machine, and yes knowing that there are a few machines around in the UK is very useful

Martyn

Andrew Johnston did a write-up of his experience of import and set-up in issues #171 and #172 of Model Engineers Workshop magazine. His article was part of the reason I went for a Tormach.

Thanks I will have a look for a copy

Tormach has said this machine does not have CE cert. and buyers responsible to clear customs.
    This is not a problem for home use, but is it possible to claim back VAT for business use? I had a problem when importing another tool and gave up.

CE isn't relevant because you are importing the machine from outside the EU.

You won't pay VAT because you aren't paying a UK company. You will have customs duty to pay. I expect that you can claim this back as a normal cost of running your business.

Also, don't bet your livelihood on advice from the internet Professional advice is available for a reason.

hey Spooq

Listen to your own words :}
    VAT is most certainly payable - you don't pay it on the Tormach invoice you pay it to HMRC usually through your shipping agent so figure 20% VAT and 2% duty

As for claiming it back I did I have not heard of anything that says that you cannot claim VAT back on none CE badged products

There may be an issue with health and safety though esp if it's employees that are using the equipment but I guess there are procedures to overcome any probs

Peter

Importing to the UK

Peter is correct, you will need to pay VAT when importing to the UK. As an aside, even when you pay VAT to a UK based company, technically you're not paying the company, they are simply collecting it on behalf of HMRC.

When I imported my Tormach I got an invoice from the shipping agent for shipping, and one for the import VAT and import duty, which had to be paid immediately by bank transfer, no messing about with cheques.

I am VAT registered, on the flat rate scheme, and claimed the VAT back in the normal way without any issues. Whether it is CE marked or not is irrelevant for VAT purposes.

Regards,

Andrew

Ok.
    Its going to be about $1500 to ship to UK port,
    2.7% imp. duty
    20% VAT
    What does an agent take as their fee on top of all the customs etc? I did it myself once and was a total pain.

$1500 sounds on the expensive side. I shipped to Norway (to my door) for $942, all be it 6 years ago. Tormach arranged the shippping from the US end. I arranged for a forwarding agent at the Norwegian end.

Edit: Ops, it's now seven 7 years!

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by andrew2 View Post
    Ok.
    Its going to be about $1500 to ship to UK port,
    2.7% imp. duty
    20% VAT
    What does an agent take as their fee on top of all the customs etc? I did it myself once and was a total pain.