586,108 active members*
3,014 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Cincinnati CNC > Spindle Issues Arrow 500 A2100

Spindle Issues Arrow 500 A2100

Over the past few days of running manifold parts our Arrow 500s spindle has been having a lot of chatter when using larger tools or at high rpm. It seems like the spindle is loose or something. Anything above the size of a #4 reamer vibrates a lot while in use. We've checked the table and vise and both are properly secured. Here's a picture of a 10-2 port on one of our manifolds that has visible vibration.

Anyone have any idea what the problem may be. I searched and the nearest thing I could find to a solution was this procedure. http://www.cnczone.com/forums/cincin...tml#post791819 but before going ahead with it I was hoping for some other input.

I'd start by checking the spindle bearings for play and the drawbar retention force.

If it is only one toolholder, I've seen loose pullstuds cause excessvie chatter. Similarly, using the incorrect pullstud can cause this.

Has anyone worked on your spindle? I've seen similar issues when someone rebuilt their own spindle and reassembled it incorrectly.

We haven't touched the spindle since we got the machine. I'll try checking the bearings, pullstud and drawbar force. Thanks.

It was making the noise on all tools so it's not a pullstud issue. My boss figured rather than troubleshoot he'd just have me order the spindle bearings and new springs and washers for the drawbar. That should solve our problem right? I'm in favor of finding the exact cause, but he pays the bills, lol.

Also anyone have a link or part number for those parts? I tried registering on the MAG website but no matter what email address I use I never get the confirmation email. It's an Arrow 500 w/ A2100.

Cincinnati did a good job of putting the part numbers on their prints, so if you have the drawings for the machine, your best option is to find the proper spindle print to ensure you have the correct parts.

They used a few different spindle designs over the years, so need to clarify which spindle is in your machine, but I have rebuilt a lot of these spindles, so if you let me know which one you have, I should be able to help you out with the part numbers once I get to the shop.

I have no idea how to get the spindle print. All I know is that we have a 1996 Arrow 500 with a 60-6000rpm spindle.

Print

Should be in your manual.

VSF5?

Quote Originally Posted by JLaw View Post
    VSF5?
    thats the drive part no.... the motor is probably 1-604-0002 or similar. are you interested in sending it somewhere for repair or do you really want to replace bearings urself? or willing to buy correct bearings from someone who supplies them? email me if interested in either of these choices....

1-604-0222

We're gonna do them ourselves and yes we'd be willing to talk to you if you're a supplier.

I think Kilroy is sending you on the wrong track here because of your reference to the VFS5 spindle drive in your machine. They work on the motors and drives, so he was recommending bearings for the spindle motor, not the spindle itself. Hard to imagine if your spindle bearings are good that the chatter you are seeing could be coming from your spindle motor.

Cincinnati spindle numbers are sometimes incicated on the housing around the spindle (i.e. 061 262 420 00006). But based on the information you provided, there are only 2 spindles your machine might have. It is most likely the air/oil mist spindle, but you can confirm this by verifying you have the Dropsa spindle lube system on the back of the machine. If you don't have the spindle oiler, you have the earlier spindle style with greased bearings.

Either way, send me an e-mail and I can help you find the part numbers you need.

I've rebuilt a number of each of these over the years, so if for any reason you decide not to do the work yourself, you can ship the cartridge to me, I can rebuild it and send it back to you. Once I have all the parts, it is usually a 2 day process to properly disassemble, clean and rebuild the spindle.