586,061 active members*
4,673 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Celtic Cross

Celtic Cross

Very new to Artcam and just experimenting with the demo and have been bouncing back and forth between it and Vectric. I have been looking for Artcam models that have been shared but haven't found any. I am looking for a Celtic Cross type of design to experiment with. I am looking for something similar to this one. A friends father just passed away and I wanted to make something for her for the services Thursday. I can do this in 2D using Inkscape and Mastercam but the outcome wouldn't be as nice as some I have seen with Artcam or Vectric.

The one I really like I have in a DXF but not sure what I can do with that. I can open it in Mastercam and create a 2D carving but would like to try to get the 3D effect. Any thoughts? Too new at this to figure it all out and have it done by Thursday morning. Not even sure what format I would need it in to cut it but an NC would work. Or something I could open in a trial version to create the G-code.

Thanks and I'm sure I'll get bashed for being 'lazy' and not wanting to do it myself. If I had enough time I would gladly try to figure it out on my own.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cross53.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

DHay13

carveone has done a Celtic Cross they may be able to help you with your program

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnc_wo...build-204.html
    Mactec54

Thanks. That's the one I was trying to make. I started on it but broke the only 1/16th ball nose that I had so now I have to wait until a new one comes in. I do have a .060 end mill but not sure if that would work ok. I already told my wife that it won't be done in time for the funeral.

In my rush I tried only cutting the cross area and not the 'scrap' material. So when I finished my rough cut I had about a .200 lip on the edge of the cross. When the e1/16 ball nose hit that it snapped it. So I went back and roughed the entire surface with a .250 end mill.

Thanks again. Still learning this stuff.