586,068 active members*
3,654 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Quest for Silence

I have been on a quest for the longest time for the most, quietest, silent machine i can build. I have been through many virtual, conceptual builds. Here's my latest idea for a quiet, medium duty, gantry router.
    I have on hand a fully functioning K2CNC 14 x 25 gantry frame, a heavy duty 1 h.p. 22k top speed treadmill motor, a variable speed controller, with a speed knob potentiometer, and I was thinking!.
    Also, I have on hand a Dremel hand piece, with a 1/8" collet. This has a flexible shaft, what if I mounted it all together? The motor could run the hand piece fastened in a suitable fixture on the Z axis slide and the motor behind the Gantry beam. What issues would this arraignment have? I want to do small plastic parts for my own 1/25th and 1/8th scale scratch building. Part thicknesses no more than 1/8" thick in mostly styrene or proto board foams such as Ren board and the like. What issues would I be likely to encounter with this concept. Comments and constructive suggestions welcome. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SPEEDRE View Post
    a heavy duty 1 h.p. 22k top speed treadmill motor, a variable speed controller, with a speed knob potentiometer, and I was thinking!.
    Thanks
    Just curious, what type of T.M. motor?
    I have never seen a DC brushed in that HP made for that RPM.?
    Even the odd few T.M.'s that used a Universal motor did not go that high.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Yes, that sounds like a very speedy motor - are you sure you got the RPMs right? If so, I'd say just mount a collet chuck to the end of it and you're done. The Dremel isn't worth trying to convert into a CNC spindle, especially with the flex shaft; they just aren't designed for that kind of use.

If your motor's really substantially slower, as I suspect, then you can still use it, but invest in a good set of bearings for a jack-shaft with a collet chuck on the end, and raise the speed with pulleys and belts to the max RPMs that your bearings will handle.

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

If you really want quiet, buy a laser.

A Bosch Colt or similar router with a Super-PID speed control is very quiet below 10,000 rpm. The cutting noise would probably be louder.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

My experience using the dremel cable shaft is they get mighty warm after only a little use.