586,036 active members*
3,623 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Starting 2nd build

I have already built ver. 1 of Momus Cnc and its been working fine. But I have decied to build second one and possibly go for screw instead of belt, but I'm not sure yet.

I will post some pics when I get some.

Hi, why are you thinking of using a thread screw this time round?

Last time I was cutting I tried to go little faster around 180ipm with 1/16 Doc and belt jumped one tooth and I had to scrap what ever I was cutting.

That's very interesting to know. Did you have any other troubles with the belt/machine design? Can I ask what motors and drive you use on your current machine? Will you be upgrading these on the new one?

I used Xylotex drive and it came with 270oz motors , I will use same motors but I got hold of Gecko drive so I will use that one and maybe thinking about driving both sides of the gantry. Never had any other problems with belt. even when cutting aluminum.

Okay, great.

I am just starting out building a machine. Nice to hear of your experiences. Are there better quality belts/pulleys you could buy or do you think it is just the limits of the belt driven design?

Quote Originally Posted by fastpcuser View Post
    Last time I was cutting I tried to go little faster around 180ipm with 1/16 Doc and belt jumped one tooth and I had to scrap what ever I was cutting.
    I have to ask what you were cutting. I've driven my machine to a complete stall and have never had a belt skip. At a 1/16 DOC in wood I could easily cut at 300ipm. Are you sure that your belt is tight?

Chris

I was cutting RC propeller out of poplar with 1/8 - 4 flute bit. It was cutting good for almost the whole g-code, but something happened on one of the passes.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by fastpcuser View Post
    I was cutting RC propeller out of poplar with 1/8 - 4 flute bit. It was cutting good for almost the whole g-code, but something happened on one of the passes.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
    There's definitely something else going on there that's not related to belt drive per se. Loose belt, weak stepper motor, low power supply would be my first three guesses. Hope you figure it out.

Chris

A 1/8"-4 flute bit may not be the best bit for wood, since you won't create enough chipload to cut efficiently due to the high RPM of the router, and the flutes are smaller, creating a problem as far as chip evacuation. If you're making fine dust it'll pack in the kerf and in the flutes, and that could possibly cause a momentary stall or skipped step.

I would advise using a 2-flute or even a 1-flute carbide endmill.

I'm still thinking if not change the design little bit and go for 80/20 and THK linear rails and actuator which I have laying around. which would be better 80/20 or plywood ?

I would be interested in hearing about the work flow you follow to cut a propeller.

The propeller I was cutting was only 12" for RC Plance cut from 3D model using Cut3D

Did you design the prop model to load into Cut 3D, or find one online?

I found one online and compared it to one I had its was 12x6, I cut it in 10x6 as well. You just have to be carefull when flipping it to do other side so your center don't move.