586,119 active members*
3,472 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Best Nema 17 stepper for Gecko driver?

Best Nema 17 stepper for Gecko driver?

I am considering these Nema 17 stepper motors and would like to know if they're a good match for a Gecko g540 controller.
    30 oz-in torque and I believe the current rating is .9 A

Thank you.

Smart Controller Stepper Motor Lin Engineering Silverpack 17c

Smart Controller Stepper Motor Lin Engineering Silverpack 17c

• NEMA 17, 1.8º Bipolar Step Motor
    • Operates from +12 to 40 VDC
    • Phase current ranges from 0.1 to 2.0 Amps Peak
    • Step Resolutions of full step, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32, 1/64, 1/128, 1/256
    • Two Digital I/O's and two dedicated Inputs
    • Execution Halt Pending a Switch
    • Pre-wired for Opto Switch Inputs
    • Homes to an Opto Sensor
    • Fully programmable ramps and speeds
    • Software selectable Hold and Move currents
    • Stand Alone Operation with no connection to PC
    • Stores up to 16 different programs at once with 4 kBytes of memory
    • Up to 84.8 oz-in of Holding Torque

Those do not appear to be simple NEMA 17 motors, rather they seem to have integrated driver and control circuitry.

So you can not simply hook them up to a G540.

Quote Originally Posted by doorknob View Post
    Those do not appear to be simple NEMA 17 motors, rather they seem to have integrated driver and control circuitry.

So you can not simply hook them up to a G540.
    Thanks for your reply. The motor uses regular db9 connector so I thought perhaps that if the cables are wired correctly, these motors could work with non-proprietary drivers rather than exclusively with their integrated controller.

It may or may not be possible, either way its probably spending more than yuo need to for a motor this size. Then you might even get into a possition that you have to take the thing apart just to get striaght to the motor wiring.

If you can find some old copiers I was able to get a bunch of good nema 17 steppers out of them.

Heck Keling has nema 17 steppers at $14.00 for the strongest one they list.
    High-Torque Stepper Motor, Stepper Motor, Driver, Stepper Motor kit, DC Servo Motor, DC Servo Motor kit, Stepper Motor Power Supply, CNC Router, Spindle, and other Components. Automation Technology Inc

They will also know which one will work best with the G540 and your machine/aplication. Give them a call they are a supporter here with good feedback. Lots of us buy from them and they have good support/warranty coverage also.

Jess
    GOD Bless, and prayers for all.

Quote Originally Posted by LUCKY13 View Post
    It may or may not be possible, either way its probably spending more than yuo need to for a motor this size. Then you might even get into a possition that you have to take the thing apart just to get striaght to the motor wiring.

If you can find some old copiers I was able to get a bunch of good nema 17 steppers out of them.

Heck Keling has nema 17 steppers at $14.00 for the strongest one they list.
    High-Torque Stepper Motor, Stepper Motor, Driver, Stepper Motor kit, DC Servo Motor, DC Servo Motor kit, Stepper Motor Power Supply, CNC Router, Spindle, and other Components. Automation Technology Inc

They will also know which one will work best with the G540 and your machine/aplication. Give them a call they are a supporter here with good feedback. Lots of us buy from them and they have good support/warranty coverage also.

Jess
    Thanks for your reply. I called Lin Engineering tech support and learned that the drivers bolted to the back of those motors can be removed, but as you say, less expensive steppers is a simpler and better way to go. I'll check out the link to the Keling motors.