586,108 active members*
3,084 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: SV command

SV command

Had a tool changer crash (umbrella style) that bent the changer spindle.
    We straightened it, faced off the bottom to square it but now the tool change position does not line up and we need to lower the cold start by about -.08".

The problem is we've been adjusting the SV for the Z axis and it makes no difference in the position. We've tried-2000, -1000, -100, and it doesn't do a thing. We've powered off each time. It is an AC machine 1998 4020 HT w/an 88HS control.

Over the weekend we'll probably loosen the mounting bolts and try to physically move the changer. A crash that hard probably bent other things but why won't this work?

Thanks

ATC Shaft shim

I would not do that. I had same problem i ended up making a new shaft. The best thing you can do is add a spacer shim under beville washers to make up amount you are off or face it off if you have to got the other direction.

so....

Basically you never got the sv to work and never got an answer out of a Fadal service person? It's not that I want to bend the whole thing back into alignment, it's just that one fadal service guy did say he's seen the mounting bolts bend downward. Thanks for the advice and I'll probably aim at doing it your way but also plan on investigating the roller shafts and mounts to see what else might be bent. (when I get time)

if your z cold start position is not lining up right, take the top cover off the tool changer and swing it toward the spindle. then take the motor cap off the z axis. loosen the 3 half moon keys and turn the encoder til it lines up and retighten. maybe that will help.

Making a new CS position for any axis is done by rotating the resolver on the motor and not done in SV or any command line.
    We have had good luck with our Fadals milling mostly soft steel and aluminum up to 5 axis. We are always looking for spare parts If you have a broken down Fadal give a shout.

Easy and quick way to aligne the turret : load one holder at bucket #1 and #11, get an indicator on a high gauge and jog it under the turret at #1 tool holder bottom flange and set to zero; jog the table under the spindle at the bottom of the holder and have some one to watch the indicador while u move the resolver; 0.005 above the turret. make shure the screen read Z0. Index to #11 should match the holder on the spindle.

If your machine has DC servo motors, you adjust the resolver. If you have AC servo motors then you adjust the zero offset on the SV screen. AC motors use encoders, not resolvers. The easiest way to adjust Z height, is to orient the spindle and then manually move the carousel to the spindle and then adjust the resolver untill you can slide a penny between the nose of the spindle and the carousel plate. If you have an AC machine, orientate the spindle, put the machne in jog mode, then move carousel in to spindle manually, and then jog z axis up or down untill you can just slide penny between spindle nose and top of carousel plate. then look at what your z axis postition is on the screen and add or subtract theat amount to your zero offset on the SV screen.