586,103 active members*
3,630 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Chamfer Help

Chamfer Help

Hello everyone!..

I'm fairly new to the machining world, and I'm looking for someone help.
    I need to mill a 45 degree 15 MM chamfer on this part. The tool I'm using is a 45 degree index-able endmill. The inserts are about .300 from the center of the tool.
    How do I program the machine, using Acu-rite control and readout system. Do I just program a straight line 15 MM into the part?? Also I need to give the diameter of the tool. Do I then tell the machine its the smallest diameter of the tool (bottom of the inserts) or the largest diameter (top outer tips of the inserts)

Any help would be much appreciate any help!!

You could program the tip of the tool near the edge you want to chamfer then control the width of the chamfer with the depth of the cut. The deeper the depth, the wider the chamfer. Worked for me in the "old days)lol

Dick Z
    DZASTR

Put a test part in the machine, tip off the length of the tool from the top of the part so you know where the tip is relative to the Z0. Then put the center of the tool over the edge of the part. Now, step over away from the part a given distance of your choosing and step the spindle down till you get the desired chamfer.

The distance away and your distance below the surface is your effective radius offset for a G41, and your depth down will be your Z- value. You can now use this set of values for future programming.