586,108 active members*
2,978 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Coolant options and advantages?

Coolant options and advantages?

HI,

I am milling some aluminum pieces on my mill and am thinking about going to a flood cooling system but I am a bit hesitant due to being in the midwest and that means humidity and rust.

How much difference does flood cooling make over mist? How much faster feed rate and cutter speed can I run if I flood it?

Thanks
    God bless...
    Mark

Mist doesn't give you rust??

A high airflow and good misting gets the chips out and cools. Depending on your machine, I wouldn't bother with flooding.

just get a coolant that has rust inhibitors in it. or wipe it down when your done.

I suggest trying Oakflow Blue, we usually get it from MSC. It is a synthetic, water soluble coolant with rust inhibitor. The nice thing about it is that it does not irritate the skin or go rancid over time like natural coolants. However it does contain some sodium hydroxide. So if yo machine aluminium with it, be sure not to leave too much excess coolant on the part or it could corrode the aluminium.

I just started using Kool Mist, so far I really like it. I was using Rustlic before and can't stand it. It makes everything sticky and gross. But of course, I use a fogbuster, and don't want to go to flood.

Wade

You might consider one of the veggie oil micro-drop units. When properly adjusted, there is very little "spray", it's almost undetectable. The veggie oil is a lubricant and air is the coolant which also blows the chips away from the cutting zone.

I've mentioned this before, I used it to cut "T" slots in press platens. Didn't use a cup of oil in 8hrs. of milling.

Dick Z

add: Trico & UNIST are a couple of brand names. I used the UNIST system.
    DZASTR

You are breathing the mist in any of those applications. I hate that. You know it can't be good to breath it in.

Sorry, but with a fogbuster, you are NOT breathing in the mist. That is the whole point of a fogbuster. It doesn't create a mist. It creates a true spray. The droplets are too big to be atomized into a mist.

Wade

Hi,

I found this study on the use of Palm oil for cutting lube. Thought it deserved a look.

Thanks
    God bless...
    Mark

http://eprints.utm.my/9729/1/78055.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by wwendorf View Post
    Sorry, but with a fogbuster, you are NOT breathing in the mist. That is the whole point of a fogbuster. It doesn't create a mist. It creates a true spray. The droplets are too big to be atomized into a mist.

Wade
    What about the smoke from the spray hitting the hot chips?

Re: Coolant options and advantages?

I had a fogbuster for 4 years. Never had a problem with smoking coolant. Only hang up with that system is the compressor cycling too often. My system had 3 nozzles feed by a 30 gallon compressor at the time so I went to flood. Still would recommend a fogbuster if you have the compressor for it

Quote Originally Posted by Machining View Post
    What about the smoke from the spray hitting the hot chips?
    Never once seen any smoke. Not even any steam.

My compressor runs alot too, but it's in another room so doesn't really bug me much.

Wade

How is the fogbuster for aluminum milling and form tapping?

How is the fogbuster for aluminum milling and form tapping?
    That's almost all that I machine is aluminum. For tapping works great too.

I hate dealing with flood coolant and the disposal issues that go along with it. I checked out the fogbuster website. They sure charge a lot for them. What do you guys use for coolant in them?

I hate dealing with flood coolant and the disposal issues that go along with it. I checked out the fogbuster website. They sure charge a lot for them. What do you guys use for coolant in them?
    I used to use Rustlic, but it was too sticky and would separate and get skunky if not used for a while.

Now I use KoolMist for my fogbuster and it works great.

Wade

Re: Coolant options and advantages?

Quote Originally Posted by wwendorf View Post
    I used to use Rustlic, but it was too sticky and would separate and get skunky if not used for a while.

Now I use KoolMist for my fogbuster and it works great.

Wade
    Same here. Koolmist77. 1 gallon lasted about 2 years. Very economical. Only limitation was directing the coolant blast while deep pocketing. That's why I used 3 nozzles. Worked OK but eventually went to flood. Pros and cons for both.

Sent from my A110 using Tapatalk HD

I know Trico's TC-1 Coolant is very good for a coolant only senario.