586,071 active members*
3,941 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > MadCAM > Rhino 5, MadCAM
Page 1 of 2 12

Rhino 5, MadCAM

I'm pretty new to the whole CAD and CAM thing so sorry for the questions.

I just purchased Rhino 5 and madCAM, thinking they will work together. I installed Rhino and then downloaded the beta madCAM 5 and installed it. Everything seemed to be ok until I went to process g code and it crashes Rhino. I'm running Vista, 32 bit if that matters.

So I thought I'd try the 4.3 madCAM. Uninstalled 5 and installed the 4.3. It seemed to install ok. I open Rhino and it gives me the dialog like it's installing but when Rhino opens there isn't any toolbar for madCAM either showing or on the toolbar list.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks, Rdjay

4.3 is not for Rhino 5.
    There are some issues reported with different plugins in 32 bit Vista (Google it). Do you get any stack trace? If so, e-mail it to MadCAM.

Hmmm, don't know what a "stack trace" is or if I got one.....

Did a complete uninstall of Rhino 5 and MadCAM. Re-booted the computer, the re-installed Rhino 5 and MadCAM 4.3.

Same issue. When I start Rhino it gives me the messages that it's installing a plug in, then I put my key into MadCAM, everything looks right except no toolbar comes up or shows on the toolbar menu. Re-starting Rhino, same still no toolbar.

Stumped I am....

RdJay

Quote Originally Posted by rdjay View Post
    Hmmm, don't know what a "stack trace" is or if I got one.....

Did a complete uninstall of Rhino 5 and MadCAM. Re-booted the computer, the re-installed Rhino 5 and MadCAM 4.3.

Same issue. When I start Rhino it gives me the messages that it's installing a plug in, then I put my key into MadCAM, everything looks right except no toolbar comes up or shows on the toolbar menu. Re-starting Rhino, same still no toolbar.

Stumped I am....

RdJay
    Rhino 4 and MadCam 4.3 are compatible. Rhino 5 and MadCam 4.3 are not ever compatible.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by OCNC View Post
    Rhino 4 and MadCam 4.3 are compatible. Rhino 5 and MadCam 4.3 are not ever compatible.

Chris
    Well that's really bad news. Would have been nice if they wouldn't have sold them both to me.... Hopefully Rhino will let me revert back to 4....

RdJay

Well that's really bad news. Would have been nice if they wouldn't have sold them both to me.... Hopefully Rhino will let me revert back to 4....

RdJay
    I would say lets find out what the problem is because Rhino 5 is approximately 10 000 times better than Rhino 4. But I don't understand why you had to buy both, you don't need a version 4 license to run Rhino 5.

Sorry for not being more clear, I didn't buy both Rhino versions, I bought Rhino 5 and MadCAM, thinking they would be compatible. Now it seems I can't use MadCAM with Rhino 5 on my 32 bit Vista machine. I'm going to try another pc running 64 bit....

RdJay

Hey Rick. As the one who likely steered you to this software combo, I hope your issue gets resolved soon! I can report that I've run both the Rhino 4/madCAM 4 combo and Rhino 5/madCAM 5 combo (which I've now switched over to permanently and will never go back, both products are dramatically improved in the 5.x versions) and have had no issues getting them to install or run properly. However, I've been using Win7 (64-bit, although that shouldn't matter much) exclusively, both on a Windows-native PC and under a virtual environment on a Mac. Both have been flawless, even with beta 5.x versions. Vista is/was kind of a dog of an operating system; I think trying a machine with Win7 (or upgrading your Vista machine) is a very prudent plan. Good luck.

-John

P.S. if you really want to try it with Rhino 4.x, your Rhino 5 license key might work on it. Or there's always the free trial version which would at least be adequate for verification of installation/operational success and troubleshooting.

Hey John,

Yep, it's all your fault :-). You should come over and check out the machine, it's getting pretty darn close.

Uninstalled Rhino and MadCAM this morning and installed Rhino 4 demo and MadCAM and the tool bar is there. Must be a 32 bit Vista thing with MadCAM. I sent them an email, hopefully tomorrow I'll get a reply and/or they will pop into this thread.

RdJay

Must be a 32 bit Vista thing with MadCAM.
    I run MadCam 4.3 and Rhino 4 sr9 on a 32 bit Vista machine without problems.

Chris

The ability for madCAM 5 to run in a 32-bit OS is fairly new. It was originally intended as a 64-bit program only. However, Joakim did release a 32-bit version beta fairly recently. It is definitely possible to have issues in Vista 32-bit. Obviously, upgrading the OS to Win7 64-bit is the best solution, for a lot of different reasons.

I strongly suggest you don't go backwards. As Sven mentioned, Rhino 5 is light years ahead of Rhino 4, as is madCAM 5 over it's predecessor. It's worth the small investment to upgrade your OS (if Joakim doesn't have a solution for the Vista 32-bit issue).

Dan
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

An update if anyone else is having this problem. Joakim (madCAM) tells me the next release should solve the problems, it's being worked on now and should be released soon.

RdJay

Thanks for the update, Rick. Is the issue specific to the 32-bit version of madCAM?

-John

Quote Originally Posted by jbarnhardt View Post
    Thanks for the update, Rick. Is the issue specific to the 32-bit version of madCAM?

-John
    Yes.

I run the Rhino 5 64-bit on Win7 Professional. I tried installing the beta of Madcam 5 but had issues and so am waiting for the release.
    I have been waiting for a long time now. I paid for it back in the autumn sometime and was told it would be a month or so for release.
    If I install the MadCam 5 beta will I be able to install the release when it's released? I tried that and had some issues.

Did you buy madCAM 4.3 or madCAM 5? If you have 4.3 your key-code will work for the 5 beta.

What kind of problems did you have when trying to install the beta?

Dan
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I have both. It took a while to get both installed correctly on the same machine. THe key code is only good for 60 days, and it's been more than 60 days since I bought the 5.0 . I was wondering how long it will be before I can get a release version of 5.0 64 bit is all.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed_R View Post
    I have both. It took a while to get both installed correctly on the same machine. THe key code is only good for 60 days, and it's been more than 60 days since I bought the 5.0 . I was wondering how long it will be before I can get a release version of 5.0 64 bit is all.
    Ed, don'e mean to argue here, but if you paid for Rhino 5, you should have a full service key which means that all the releases and updates are automajically tied to that bought key!

Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Hi Mike! Long time no talk to! I do have the key, it works for both the 5.0 beta and 4.3 release, but it says it's only good for 60 days with the 5.0 beta. I have the 64-bit version, I was just wondering when the release will be.

Ed as I am not Joakim, I cannot give you a date, but I can assure you it will be when he feels the kinks, twists and bugs are worked out. I am also sure that now there are several using it instead of 5 or 6 testers that more little things will come up and need work as well as new strategies.

If I can be of service, let me know.

Mike

ps, I love it Rhino 5 and Madcam 5 as well
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Page 1 of 2 12