586,113 active members*
3,089 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Need help buying the correct lathe tooling

Need help buying the correct lathe tooling

I need some help selecting the right tooling for the job I am doing. I have a Enco 13x40 lathe. I am modifying rear ends for legend racing cars and I have to cut the housing ends of these rear ends. When I cut these off I leave part of the weld on them. I then need to turn this weld off these housing ends. Can someone recommend the right tooling to do this job. If you could also recommend a place to purchase the tooling. Thanks

This is an example of where you need to get someone that knows how to do this (even if you have to pay them) to come show you how. They will select the best tooling that will fit your lathe and work for your application. Many of the major tooling companies have application engineers that can visit you at your location and make recommendations also.

If I understand correctly you are cutting the axle tubes off a rear end, then machining the weld off the tubes? I have had students do this in the past, they used my standard WNMG inserts.

I love WNMG inserts because they take the abuse of high school students and keep on giving, and you get 6 points (3 a side) so it is like getting 6 cutters in one. You can get them anywhere in whatever grade you want dependent on what you are machining. I would go to a place like KBC and ask them what insert grade to use based on the material you are machinining. If it is weld that was welded to cast housings, you might need one meant for nickel (very common to use a nickel alloy when welding tubes to housings) if it is mild steel housings like on a yota or ford 9" then mild steel should be fine. It is hard for me to give you any clearer direction at this point.