586,075 active members*
3,871 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Need lightweight table top plate cutter!

Question Need lightweight table top plate cutter!

I need help finding a plate cutter for hobby work.

I need to cut aluminum material up to 3mm (1/8") or so.
    Steel up to 2mm or less.
    The maximum cut width could be 50 cm or approx 20 inches or so.

I only find huge models intended for commercial shops but they are all too large and too heavy. I have my shop in the attic now so I cannot safely fit a large machine that weighs 800+ punds.

Max weight I would say should be 100-150 pounds or a bit more.
    The cutter should be of a type that cuts evenly and not a "swipe" type if you know what I mean.

I have no problems importing a machine from the USA as there is no rush. I have a good sea-freight provider that I use all the time from the USA to Europe with reasonable prices.

Let me know when you find something.
    All I see in small machines have 20 gage steel as max thickness. Sheet metal machines.
    I do have a small 8" plate shear that I got from Grizzly, but don't use it much. Doesn't cut without deformation. Would work really well on rebar or something that didn't matter how clean the shear was.
    I cut a lot of big stuff on a 7" x 12" bandsaw.
    I am building a plasma cutter and that will eventually take over all those duties.
    Lee

Sorry, are you talking about a punch or shear, or are you talking about something to cut out complex shapes like a CNC mill?
    Bob La Londe
    http://www.YumaBassMan.com

Bob: I am talking about a shear. Something like this Northern Industrial Sheet Metal Shear — 52in. Length | Metal Shears| Northern Tool + Equipment except that this one is not a small type for hobby use. I need one that is fairly lightweight, small, and it should cut up to 12 or 11 gage aluminum and some thin steel sheets. What do you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    Let me know when you find something.
    All I see in small machines have 20 gage steel as max thickness. Sheet metal machines.
    I do have a small 8" plate shear that I got from Grizzly, but don't use it much. Doesn't cut without deformation. Would work really well on rebar or something that didn't matter how clean the shear was.
    I cut a lot of big stuff on a 7" x 12" bandsaw.
    I am building a plasma cutter and that will eventually take over all those duties.
    Hi! Thanks for replying but I don't have blades with that fine pitch. Also, I need straight cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1000 View Post
    Bob: I am talking about a shear. Something like this Northern Industrial Sheet Metal Shear — 52in. Length | Metal Shears| Northern Tool + Equipment except that this one is not a small type for hobby use. I need one that is fairly lightweight, small, and it should cut up to 12 or 11 gage aluminum and some thin steel sheets. What do you recommend?
    That IS a small, cheap shear.
    I believe you will need a grinder and cut-off discs.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca